sfmiaw

Consew Cp206 V. Consew 206Rb-5 V. Thompson Pw-400?

Hi everyone,

I'm considering the Consew CP206, 206rb-5 and Thompson pw-400 sewing machines for straight stitching veg tan and oil-tanned leather, up to 10oz (4-5mm). Basically I'm making leather watch straps and dog collars.

I've done some searching on the site but my head hurts now from the effort so I thought I'd post to see if someone would be kind enough to help with some advice about my specific issues.

I think I read somewhere that the Consew CP206 (walking foot portable) is a more modern version of the Thompson pw-400. Is that correct? If that is true, will both handle what I'm trying to do? Furthermore, will these machines take 3-cord linen (#92/#138 equivalent) or even 4 cord linen (#207)? If they are not nearly identical, then which machine would be more appropriate? Lastly, would I have to "modify" the feed dogs and walking feet if the leather marks easily?

I know that the 206rb-5 is the better choice, but price-wise and space-wise, I would prefer the portable (~$400) if it can do the job.

Thanks.

Thompson Mini Walker was the first, Consew CP206 is really one and the same, I am pretty sure from the same factory in Taiwan Machine will sew up to a V138. I can't tell you what machine to spend your money on or go with, but the portables are great for on site repairs small jobs, not a production machine in any way shape or form.

Gregg,

Thank you so much for your reply. I do not forsee ramping it past hobby/small jobs anytime soon, so unless the 206rb-5 is at firesale prices, then I can get by with the CP206 for now.

Frank