Well, it finally happened...i have a customer i have known for years, he is quite possible the most negative person i have ever met...i should have followed my instincts and not made a holster for him, but i did and now he managed to distort the heavy duty metal clip to the point its useless...i have a strong suspicion he did it on purpose because he has been asking about getting a plastic clip for the last 2 months...anyway, its too late for me to walk away, so i have to try to make him happy...i can make a kydex clip, but i dont think it will hold up real well. Does anyone know where i can get the plastic clip like Galco uses on their tuck and go or scout clip on?..im at wits end here..

If it's just a one-off, you might call Galco and see if you can order a replacement clip. I didn't see it listed on their website, but their others seem to sell for around $10... ouch! Makes you wonder - if he mangled a metal clip, how in the world does he expect a plastic clip to hold up!?!? It'll be even thicker, more obtrusive, more likely to snag on stuff. I'm with you - he had to have done it on purpose.

I pulled out my holster, the exact same model as the one i made for him, but mine is 9 month old, and the clip is in perfect condition..he has had his for 2 months and there is no spring in the clip at all....im just gonna make a kydex clip and see how long it will last...

CompTac sells their plastic injection molded clips and Garret industries sells the kydex clips.

I predict they last 2 hours for a guy that can wreck a steel clip.

CompTac sells their plastic injection molded clips and Garret industries sells the kydex clips.

I predict they last 2 hours for a guy that can wreck a steel clip.

That's why i have my suspicions that it was well above wear and tear on a two month old holster...he wanted plastic to begin with, i told him i could do plastic but it wouldnt last long, he conceded, but i think he abused it willfully and with malice aforethought...

"The amount of damage to the spring clip far exceeds normal wear and tear, and my warranty does NOT cover abuse to the items I produce. I most certainly can repair that and install a new clip, however, normal labor and material rates will apply. If you want, you can supply the clip and I'll only charge labor."

Incidentally, look at the clip for signs of pliers or any other tool marks. TAKE PICTURES AND SAVE THEM. That way you have proof of what condition things are in when you take them in for repair, AND when you give them back.

I AM INTERESTED IN SEEING SOME PICTURES OF ABOVE MENTIONED HOLSTER

I'm with the others who are surprised this customer could mangle up one of those steel clips that badly. From my experience, they are pretty stout. I would much prefer them over the plastic ones..

Here is what it should look like...i cant get a pic of the destroyed holster right now, but imagine the clip on it opened up about a half inch...

post-30702-0-19468600-1362573205_thumb.j

IMHO....one has to be pretty rough on things to deform that clip to the point of remaining opened halfway. I've 'personally' used those clips on my own IWB holsters for a long time and have never had an issue. The only thing I can think of is if the clip was not right from the factory..

Sounds to me like Mr. Customer has gotten it into his head that plastic clips are somehow superior to steel clips and now wants to force you to change your design to suit his preferences.

I make my Offset Belt Clip IWB model with a very strong steel belt clip (thicker than normal steel and spring-tempered after forming). I'm sure that the clip could be damaged, but only by an extreme amount of force being applied to it, or by an intentional act.

My position would be to replace the clip with exactly the same clip provided when the holster was made, but that I would do that only once without charging for it. Any future repairs would be billed at time and materials.

From time to time I've had customers raise what might sound like warranty issues, then on examination found that my product had been intentionally altered is some manner. I have usually restored the product to functional (original) condition, but I have made it clear that the alterations made the warranty void in the future. (I have made exceptions: one case of a customer who cleaned his new holster with gasoline, literally destroying it, and expected me to provide him with a new holster; and another customer who replaced hardware, then complained that it wouldn't function properly and demanded a refund. Those customers received nothing).

All kinds of people out there and sooner or later we have to deal with every kind.

Best regards.

So, I repaired the holster with the standard metal clip, i decided that I, the holster maker, probably know a little more about holsters than the guy who doesnt make holsters...and that if he doesnt like the clip, he owns the holster and is more than welcome to modify it as he see's fit, voiding the warranty of course, but one must choose ones battles....thanks for all the support and advice guys, i really appreciate it..

I think you made the right decision. I have never sent anything back to the manufacture and expected them to replace the item with a different model. And I don't think there are many manufactures that would unless the item is no longer made. I hope he is happy and no longer causes you stress

I too think you did the right thing, Renegade..