dwhitefeather

Adler 205-64 Sewing Machine

Hi Peter,

Thats the only thing who is left of the industry here too, awning, furniture and auto upholsteries. I am a trained car mechanic and have worked with that before, so auto upholstery should be right in the spot for me. However, I find no pleasure in it, I kind of got an overdose of cars in my younger days. You could always find me under a car, thats where my friends first looked after me when they come to visit.

Now its all computers, components changing and plastic.... I wish I lived hundred years ago when steel was steel and wood was wood, and not made of plastic.

Speak about plastic, today I went down to the plastic company and checked out the stuff my self. I turned out they did not make the stuff here anymore, they could do it but it would be to expensive. It looks like the boards sold in the USA has Rockwell scale of hardness, here they used something else (like always). However, the stuff was very hard and I bought one for the machine and thinner one for my work bench. He told me the color had nothing to do with the harness. They used to sell them to butcher stores, the red was for meat, the white for fish and so on. I bought the HD 500, it came in one grade harder too; the HD 1000. They did not have the HD 1000 in stock, I will try this out first and upgrade later if necessary.

How do you keep them planed flat, do you plan them with a machine? Want it just stick to the blade?

Yes the Italians makes most of the leather machines now a days. I have a Italian skiving machine that is very nicely made. The European leather machine dealers go to Italy all the time to buy machines, they make good deals down there right now (its hard times in southern Europe right now). This dealer sells used German and Italian machines and the prices are high. http://www.sieck.de/en/sieck-international/ We and the Germans are about the two only European countries who is not affected by the economical crisis.

I hope for better time soon or else the center of Europe Will be named Oslo, they mass immigrates here to work. Also the ones who do not intend to work comes here to live on us as beggars. They now try to forbid begging in Oslo, the politicians will not have their conscience tested every day when they walk to work. The way I see it , you cannot forbid someone to beg, it easier to stop them on the border and demand they have enough money to support them self while they are here. Thats the way they do it everywhere else, but here they are to stupid to figure it out.

We talk later,

Tor

planing, i used to take the pad to a wood guy. block planer. but, he decided no more. you can do a crude job with a router, knocking down the high spots, which will be around the edges, the corners. the board does not have to be totally flat. but, at the beginning, the wood under it should be totally flat, and stay that way. if you let the plastic pad get too much like a bowl, it will bend the dies. all this is not the end of the world, but flat is best. the machine i use is a custom thing a machinist made for me. fly cutter on an electric motor, on a swinging arm. you won't find one like it anywhere. you can also use a belt sander, but taking a lot of plastic down with that is ugly and messy. oh, and cut evenly all over the pad. not just in your favorite spot, right in the middle.

plastic in cars. well, you can stay with the cars pre mid 60s. lots of nice things there.

Edited by leatherdog

you mentioned the service manual. i found on the internet a crude document, it was poorly translated and covered a couple different adlers. maybe just a few pages. is there another one out there?

thanks

I have the repair manual that came with mine. I could copy what pages you need and email them to you.

Tor

here's a few photos. you can see the 205 64 behind the 167 373. note the dust

and brush of rust. also is a photo of the extra machines. in the photo there

are three 545s, one of them has a a spaghetti folder. also a 145, which we use

for binding nyon tape. a 138 in the back. you can see the two adlers, and in

front, a pfaff 141. needle feed with roller foot. the cowboy boot guys really like

these things. none of these are used much, if at all. the 205, 169 and 141

have never been used by us. and, just for fun a photo of another machine. i

bet there aren't many around. you can probably see what it does. only the

truly immersed leather nut will know the name of this machine.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the explanation of the routering, I would love to see a pic of that fly- cutter machine. I did not see these machine pictures before after I posted the last post.

That 169 looks very nice, I would have sold my grand mother to get my hands of it (if I had one, I don't). It have a stop motor too, I know we would work out a trade if we was not that far apart.

I hope we do not totally take over this topic, I know we do. But please tell us to leave and we will.

Many nice other machines there too.

The Omac machine; first I thought of a belt folding machine, but it have no attachment on the front. I guess it is a hot roller press machine. I can see the press lever on the left and the red light who lights up when it is warm enough, just a guess. I know the brand, its Italian and commonly found here in Europe too.

That Adler 169 looks very clean, I got to figure out some reasonable shipping options between here and the States. Her I cannot get much for second hand machines, but in your country I can. Most of my tools and parts I have to buy in USA. I already have a US shipping address, its a New Jersey mailbox run by a Norwegian company. I use it when I buy tools from you, where the sellers do not offer international shipping. I have to pay a bit more this way, but at least I get what I want. I have to check how to ship reasonable the other direction, I will work on it.

I am sure there are some methods that can be used without loosing all the profit.

OK we talk later

have a nice day

Tor

Tor

the 169 - yes, low miles. but, that's a lot of work to trade machines across a continent and an ocean. plus all the boxing up, and wouldn't there be electricity issues? you are on 50 cycles, we are on 60. ? anyway, the 345 i'd like to have would not be set up for binding. just handling the leather.

the omac. the red light is on-off. no heat. it has a foot bar to press to make the thing go. it is a strap edge folder. you can see the opening, and it is adjustable, opens equally from the center. it is on a threaded shaft, with different threads on each side, so when you turn the black knob at the lower left, the gap either opens or closes a bit. the silver knob above it moves the folders forward or back, in or away from the roller, depending on leather thickness, preferences. you can see it is set up for center fold. there is another finger thing, with the black knob, sitting off to the side, it can be put in the chute, with the other one, and you can fold to whatever width of fold you want. makes sense? it takes stiff leather with a skived edge, or soft leather with an insert. something to fold against. great idea, we just don't use it. when we got it, it had a 50 cyl ac motor. made a nice burning smell till it died. i had it rewound to 60 cyl. very happy now.

PcCowboy

gee, that would be great. i just sent you an email.......

Peter

Sorry, I see I made a mistake. Mine is a 205-370

Tor

the 169 - yes, low miles. but, that's a lot of work to trade machines across a continent and an ocean. plus all the boxing up, and wouldn't there be electricity issues? you are on 50 cycles, we are on 60. ? anyway, the 345 i'd like to have would not be set up for binding. just handling the leather.

the omac. the red light is on-off. no heat. it has a foot bar to press to make the thing go. it is a strap edge folder. you can see the opening, and it is adjustable, opens equally from the center. it is on a threaded shaft, with different threads on each side, so when you turn the black knob at the lower left, the gap either opens or closes a bit. the silver knob above it moves the folders forward or back, in or away from the roller, depending on leather thickness, preferences. you can see it is set up for center fold. there is another finger thing, with the black knob, sitting off to the side, it can be put in the chute, with the other one, and you can fold to whatever width of fold you want. makes sense? it takes stiff leather with a skived edge, or soft leather with an insert. something to fold against. great idea, we just don't use it. when we got it, it had a 50 cyl ac motor. made a nice burning smell till it died. i had it rewound to 60 cyl. very happy now.

Yes Peter,

it makes sence now and it was my first guess too. I did not recognize the kind of front it has. Nice machine, it may come in handy sometimes. You never know what the future jobs brings.

No I am not thinking about your Adler, I will find one here eventually. I have seen many nice 69- 373 with the narrow cylinder. Those are handy but would not replace the 345 (cannot take heavy threads), and no room to keep both machines. I will wait to I find a nice 169 or newer, then I would look in to it.

I am talking about exporting many machines at once.

Transport costs are very low these days, I would wait until I had a 20 foot container full before shipping by sea. Motors are different we use 220/50 cyl (and maybe moving up to 380/400 in the future for normal household, our three phase is 400v).

I do not see motors as a problem, clutch motors would be changed for servos anyway. If a machine should happen to have a modern Efka DC I would buy on a converter. Otherwise, both tables and motors are cheap in your country. They do not sell those cheap Chinese servo`s here, I bought the one I have from Cobra.

Up until now the Chinese have been behind on motor technology, my guess is that they are working hard to catch up with Japan and Germany. I have seen several new model who looks promising, they look like clones of Efka and Ho Sing. And they may well be, there systems are old enough to be legal to copy and they are put together in China anyway. http://www.cccme.org.cn/shop/cccme3825/offerinfo-1033966.aspx

http://www.cccme.org.cn/shop/cccme3825/offerinfo-1033976.aspx

No way to tell before trying one.

Soon there will be usable cheap motors available, no point in shipping those old heavy outdated motors anyway. The converter cost more than a Chinese servo does.

I am just thinking out load, its a pity to waist all those nice old machines if someone need them other places.

We will see what the future brings, if only the world will get out of this stupid economical crisis people will start buying stuff again.

Cheers

Tor

i see. is it the service manual or the user's manual?

I got both

gee, would it be possible to get copies of those? even though the 64 is different from the 370, there would be a lot in common. gotta make do with what i can get my hands on, as they say.

??

I have them in PDF format. Problem is they are 10 mb and 12 mb big. can't upload them or email them. Trying to find a way to compress a PDF file to a smaller size.

Trox, thanks for the fine. Good work.

I have them in PDF format. Problem is they are 10 mb and 12 mb big. can't upload them or email them. Trying to find a way to compress a PDF file to a smaller size.

noted. thanks for the effort.......

Peter, the service manual for the 205-370 and for the 205-64 is on DA`site http://www.duerkopp-...05/s_204_gb.pdf

http://www.duerkopp-...0/s_204_370.pdf Maybe you knew that?

and here http://sew24.blogspo.../downloads.html

Nice handle attachment for the 370 by the way http://sew24.blogspo...-aus-leder.html

i'll dig into that . thank you......

I have this DURKOPP ADLER machine model 205-64,  however I've got original new shuttle #204150104 on hand, it doesn't fit on machine well.

Please see the attached. Can I pick you brains? What can be done to fix this problem?

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/97461-can-i-pick-your-brain-adler-205-64-how-to-fix-shuttle-hook-in-sewing-machine/

Edited by Northmount
Linked to post with photos attached.