keplerts

Neatsfool Oil Looks Like Curdled Butter

I just bought some pure neatsfoot oil and it looks like curdled butter! Is that how it is suppose

to look? I have used Neatslene oil before and it was a nice mellow brown color and was a nice

oily texture. I never had a problem with neatslene freezing. Will Neatfoot oil freeze? Could it

have frozen? Or is this curdled look the way it is suppose to look?

Thanks,

Tom

It does sound like it has frozen. Most neatsfoot oil is rendered PIG fat and it will congele. It doesn't really hurt it,

but it isn't going to go back to fully liquid. How are you storing it?

I was storing it in my shop which can get to the lower 30's at nite. But I have other stuff there which never was frozen before.

I have stored my neatslene oil there when it was even colder and it has NEVER showed any signs of freezing. The neatsfoot

now leave a few "chunks" of fat on my leather. But I can wipe it off or rub it in. I just never used neatsfoot oil before and

didn't know how much difference the was between it and neatslene.

Thanks for the info....

Tom

I was storing it in my shop which can get to the lower 30's at nite. But I have other stuff there which never was frozen before.

I have stored my neatslene oil there when it was even colder and it has NEVER showed any signs of freezing. The neatsfoot

now leave a few "chunks" of fat on my leather. But I can wipe it off or rub it in. I just never used neatsfoot oil before and

didn't know how much difference the was between it and neatslene.

Thanks for the info....

Tom

Mine gets that texture to some of it for the same reason (storing in cold shop), I shake it up after it is warmed up and it goes right back to proper consistency.

Chief

100% neetsfoot oil needs to be warmed espically when it's cold. After it's warmed it will be fine.

Put the container in a pot of water on the stove. Pull it out and shake it up every once in a while until it is all one consistancy again. Then you're GTG.

I just had to do this yesterday.

Thanks for the info. I will give that a try. I hate the curdled butter look.