Tempest

Hello From The Pacific Northwest

Hi everyone! Here's my little introduction post.

I'm Deanna, hailing from the beautiful mountains of Washington State.

My artistic sense of adventure has gotten me into all sorts of "trouble." I have a BFA in animation, work in giftware product design (for the time being), make hemp knotted jewelry, paint ink wash landscapes, and moonlight as an indie game studio concept and creature artist. I'm quite excited to start learning leathercraft, which I came across in a search for new things to incorporate into natural material jewelry design.

However, the first project I'd like to work on is a tooled guitar strap, since I'm going to start learning how to play a guitar in a couple of weeks... Because life's too short to stop learning. :)

Finally, the craftsmanship that I've seen in this forum is quite amazing to me. I'm more than receptive to any advice you folks might offer this newbie.

Edited by Tempest

welcome to leatherworker.net!

Welcome to the forums... There seem to be a few of us from Washington on here. It's always nice to see others on here from the same area you are in.

To be fair, I am rather biased about this state, specifically the western side of the mountains. I have been to a number of other places, and while they are beautiful in their own ways and nice to visit, there is nothing quite like being up here in the Puget Sound area. We get teased about the number of rainy days a year we have up here, but I'll take weeks of mildly wet days with a light rain over hurricanes, tornadoes, flash floods, or extreme humidity any day. I try not letting the crippling fear of a long overdue earthquake looming over the region keep me down, though.

On the leather side of things, I'm elated to see someone else joining in on the fun from the same area I am. Unlike most other mediums, you seldom end up where you started with leather. There's just so much you can do with it.

....Finally, the craftsmanship that I've seen in this forum is quite amazing to me. I'm more than receptive to any advice you folks might offer this newbie.

Take a look at www.pslac.org

Bob Stelmack

Unlike most other mediums, you seldom end up where you started with leather. There's just so much you can do with it.

aint that the truth....

Welcome, from another fellow Washatonian. This is a great site to get all kinds of help and information. Never hesitate to contact anyone directly as any time I have I have always dealt with some incredibley helpful and friendly folks.

Welcome from Independence, Mo. This is a great forum. I have learned a tremendous amount of knowledge from reading this forum and am producing much improved results from following the advise and tips here.

I also spend about half of the year in Stevenson, Wa. In the Columbia River Gorge and always take my leather working tools while I'm there, in fact I just returned from there last week.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. :)

I'm glad a knowledge base like this site exists. From what I've seen of leatherworking, making the investment on tools and materials is going to be the hardest part for me. But creating fuctional, long-lasting art? Worth it!

Welcome to the forums... There seem to be a few of us from Washington on here. It's always nice to see others on here from the same area you are in.

I'm also from the west side and quite in love with all the greenery. It's worth all the soggy days, I think.