I've been diggin on this forum for a week or so trying to find some info to help me finish my hunting holster. I was considering buying a holster for awhile, but the only leather holster that would really work is $130. So, I decided to try doing it myself because I wasn't about to shell out that kind of money if I could do it myself for less.

It's very plain, no tooling. However, it fits the gun very well. Tight enough that the gun isn't going anywhere. I can draw the gun easily and the holster does not flatten out when the gun is drawn, so I can put it back into the holster with one hand.

Since I didn't have any leather tools, everything was cut with a utility knife. The holes were laid out with a fork to try to keep the stitching evenly spaced and clean. Also, since I didn't cut the sides perfect, I sanded the edges flush with a dremel after they were stitched. That was a trick I read on this forum somewhere. I still need to burnish the edges and add a top coat. The top coat is something I don't know how I'm going to do it. I'll probably end up at the local leather store asking for something that I can coat it with that will handle being out in the weather.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, as the project would not have turned out as good without the info here. As well as it turned out it's not perfect, but my next one will hopefully be better.

http://s1298.beta.ph...309362456777306

That looks pretty good considering your experience and lack of tools to work with.

Is that an oil finish? You can get by with sno-seal to keep it weather proof.

You can buy some Resolene cut 50/50 with water from Tandy or use Mop & Glo floor wax cut 50/50 with water. Both will work well. If you want weather proof then I agree with Tree Reaper on the Sno-Seal.

Thanks for the kind words. Also, thanks for telling me about sno-seal. That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for to finish it. I think the dye I used was an alcohol based dye.

Very nice first effort. As you continue, which I hope you do, in leathercraft, you'll learn a lot by asking questions on this forum. I've found everyone to be very helpful and obliging when it comes to offering solutions or opinions to things. Again, good job.