J Allen

Selling "kits" --- Clicked Parts ---

I have a few clicker dies for a few items I have thought about selling as "kits".

Things like a very simple 3 piece wallet, a business card case and a credit card sleeve wallet. I can even use the same dies to make a simple little coin purse. They do not have any holes for stitching or lacing so the buyer would have to be a bit more advanced to get them ready to assemble. They could be clicked with a liner or without.

I wonder if they are simple enough for folks to be able to assemble without an instruction sheet as that would take additional time and add to the cost. If you can't figure out three or four pieces of a simple "kit" then maybe these are not for you. I do not intend on sending any pattern or designs for tooling either. Again if folks can not figure out a design then?

I was just wondering if there is any interest in this kind of thing.

I could click out in veg tan or offer a few exotics.

Just a thought...

I would think it would be better without holes and without any patterns or directions and keep the price as low as possible ad still use good leather. That would appeal to people like me who could easily dye and stitch them up and be able to make a profit on them. There are plenty of kits geared towards beginners but very few geared towards the advanced or professional leatherworker. I personally would like to see some more kits that way, it would keep design time down and make it more cost effective to get a custom or semi custom item done and have it look like it was proffesionally made instead of looking like something a kid made at summer camp.

I agree with Billymac. I'd be interested in seeing these.

J I too would be interested in seeing the parts you make for the kits. Cheryl

I'm not in the market for this sort of thing but I would think that some sort of explanation or direction would be incumbent. I would think it would be well worth you time to write up a little instruction if you really want to sell this.

I don't really think instructions are necessary for a 3 piece business card case or wallet. Its one piece for the back and a pocket on each side, there's only one way you could put it together. I'd leave the beginners kits for Tandy and concentrate more on wholesale/professional sales and if the buyer wants to resell them as kits they can come up with the instructions.

I don't really think anything is necessary but you could simply have a picture of a finished one up on the web somewhere and include a link to that to the buyer, that shouldn't increase the price any and it would be quick to do.

I am in total agreement that instructions shouldn't be necessary for such a project. I'm just not in the market for a kit. I almost always make templates for my projects to facilitate reproducing them if I choose to do so. I just prefer to use my own designs, as simple as they may be. If I was inclined to sell my templates I would certainly include some directions. Not that hard to do. The more information you provide the customer the more they are inclined to buy.

If I were to do this, there would not be any assembly instructions. If you can not take three or four pieces including a liner and make a business card case when two smaller pieces look like pockets and one larger piece looks like a back... I dunno, maybe the buyer should be looking to do something else. Not trying to be an ass, just realistic. For me to sit down, take photos as I assemble a three piece business card or a three piece bil-fold would add time and cost. maybe I'm wrong.

The benefit to the buyer is a quality "kit" (precut pieces) that fit like they should with nice corners that goes together with a finished look without any inflated cost.

I'm thinking a business card case at $5.00 each. Maybe the credit card wallet for the same $5.00. 4-5 oz veg tan with 2-3oz pockets, pig liner....

Just throwing out my thoughts.

J.

Wood: Part of the drawback to this is if you sell one , most folks would just rip the design to poster board and never buy another. The lower cost might entice those who value time might buy more than one.

I think you're right on track. At 5.00 per kit I could put them together in no time at all and actually be able to make some money on them. If I were to make the patterns and cut them out myself the price would be double for the end customer. These would be nice little impulse items to keep at the counter because I'm busy enough with holsters that I really don't have much time to invest in doing things like this unless they are quick and easy. For the full out custom items i choose to make my own patterns but not everyone can afford those things so this would be an affordable solution to those people which broadens my customer base. I'd much prefer quality leather over instructions.

Let me know when/if you start selling them.

If I were to do this, there would not be any assembly instructions. If you can not take three or four pieces including a liner and make a business card case when two smaller pieces look like pockets and one larger piece looks like a back... I dunno, maybe the buyer should be looking to do something else. Not trying to be an ass, just realistic. For me to sit down, take photos as I assemble a three piece business card or a three piece bil-fold would add time and cost. maybe I'm wrong.

The benefit to the buyer is a quality "kit" (precut pieces) that fit like they should with nice corners that goes together with a finished look without any inflated cost.

I'm thinking a business card case at $5.00 each. Maybe the credit card wallet for the same $5.00. 4-5 oz veg tan with 2-3oz pockets, pig liner....

Just throwing out my thoughts.

J.

I think you're right on track. At 5.00 per kit I could put them together in no time at all and actually be able to make some money on them. If I were to make the patterns and cut them out myself the price would be double for the end customer. These would be nice little impulse items to keep at the counter because I'm busy enough with holsters that I really don't have much time to invest in doing things like this unless they are quick and easy. For the full out custom items i choose to make my own patterns but not everyone can afford those things so this would be an affordable solution to those people which broadens my customer base. I'd much prefer quality leather over instructions.

Let me know when/if you start selling them.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking there. I try to focus so much more on custom work that I haven't gotten anything up in any online store. If these were quality kits that I could whip up, it would give me a less expensive alternative to offer people who can't afford my full on work and get me some quick "stock" to post for sale as bread and butter.

I'd be interested in these. Please let me know if you begin to produce them.

I have decided to not offer these in kit form. Instead I am going to sell the dies. To those who responded and to those who showed interest, thank you for your input and insight.

J.

Edited by J Allen

I have decided to not offer these in kit form. Instead I am going to sell the dies. To those who responded and to those who showed interest, thank you for your input and insight.

J.

How much?