JakeDiebolt

Attaching Tuck Clasp To Bag

Hey all,

I'm working on making a hip bag for my wife and she told me the kind of clasp she wanted. This one from Tandy is what I got:

https://www.tandyleatherfactory.ca/en-cad/search/searchresults/11507-00.aspx

It's called a "tuck clasp". It says that it requires 2 rivets to attach, but when I opened it I could only see a place for one in the top part of the clasp. The bottom clasp has two little steel tabs on the back. It has no instructions included on how to attach.

Has anyone installed one of these on a bag or purse or something? Any ideas on how to install?

I purchased one of these the other day but have yet to use it on a project. You are correct that there is only one place for a rivet. Maybe they were referring to the two parts of the rivet.

With clasps in general I always attach the part that goes on the bag first and when the bag nears completion (most of the stitching is done) I adjust the flap length if necessary and determine the placement of the other part of the clasp.

The two little tabs are inserted through slots/slits in the leather and folded out or over each other,,,depending on how much room you have to work with. You may want to tap them down, if you can support the front of the clasp so you done damage it.

The one I have has a backing plate so in this case the tabs would be bent inward toward each other over the plate.

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I need! I suspected it would be something like that, but I didn't want to go cutting my leather before getting confirmation (or finding out there was a missing piece).

As a side question, does anyone know where to get more 'robust' clasps than Tandy? One of my wife's bags has a similar clasp to this one, but the metal is much thicker. The one I have seems a little flimsy. Where would I get something a little more quality for next time?

Ohio travel bag, and the sister site, 'hardware elf'