I am still new to making holsters and still figuring a lot of things with the help of the forums, a few messages back and forth and many of the videos made by members of the site. I thank you kind folks for that. I would still be making Tandy key rings if not for you all.

The reason for my post is that I have been making and giving away most of the holsters I have been practicing on to friends who are avid shooters. The only thing I ask of them is to put them through the ringer and tell me what I can improve functionally, structurally and cosmetically. The holsters have gotten to a point where my friends are telling me that they are sound enough to be sold. I’m sure many are being kind in their critiques but I feel like I am ready to give it a serious run.

I am considering setting up at gun shows and seeing how I fare. I felt like this was a good place to hopefully sell some of my work to and recoup some of the money spent making them. I feel like it’s just as important for strangers to hopefully point out what they do or don’t like about what I am doing with the holsters.

Do any of you folks have any advice on setting up at a gun show? Is it worthwhile? Are there any pitfalls I should avoid? I know much of the success will ultimately be on the quality of the work and I hope to get off on the right foot.

I appreciate any input you folks have to offer.

Edited by buzzkiller

I have been doing gun shows for years. The biggest thing I can suggest is study study study...... Know your product and the products that you will be competing with: kydex, nylon, import leather holsters. Know the pluses of each and the cons so that you can give a knowledgeable answer to questions and be able to steer a buyer to what they need. If someone can't afford my leather then I usually know where in the show they can get something to cover their needs in the price range they have.

Next figure out your limits in what you can do. If I know that a type of holster or a what a customer wants done is not going to be safe or usable I may suggest another way or try to steer them into something else. Don't tell them they are wrong (even though they are), I usually get to busy to take the order.

Don"t ever forget that time is money.... You will get a set style and type of holsters that you make for certain guns. Every new order is going to have to have new patterns, hardware and time invested in R & D. If it is something that you could get a number of other orders then it may be worth while other wise once again I am to busy to take on new orders.

Remember that you will not be able to cover the vast amount of guns on the market. They market is changing all the time and sometimes by the time you get a dummy gun to fill orders that gun is no longer the popular one. This show you get a large request for a certain gun, you spend the time and money making some holsters up and then they set for ever before any one wants them again. For this reason I have refined my business into meeting the needs of the shooters that most other holster makers have dropped. The revolver and large pistols for the outdoors man and hunters, concealed carry, and horseback needs.

If you go the custom route, you will get orders but the money will be coming in as orders go out. If you do shows then you will need money for expenses. I usually try to carry number of holsters that I know will sell for the real standard guns. I have also tried to pick up small stuff that sells well that I did not have to make to pay for the tables, gas, parking and food while at the shows. Most people want something they can buy and walk out of the show with and not wait, for the same price as a nylon holster. There are people who understand the quality of craftsmanship and are willing to pay to get it. Don't let the rest get you frustrated and giving your product away. If you are producing quality and want paid for it then you need to pick quality shows with the numbers of people to find your market.

The biggest lesson I learned is that quality and customer service will build a business.

I really appreciate the input Treed. Right now I am just going to build up stock in some of the more popular pistols that I either have or have molds for. 1911's, a couple of variations of sig's and Glocks, S&W J frame and M&P. Can you think of a model I should try to find a mold for other than these?

A tip for any type of show. Bring your own food and drinks. Don't depend on their being something to eat or drink there, plus you save money and won't have to leave your table to get something to eat or drink.

Edited by dirtclod

A question popped in my head while brainstorming. Do you folks think it would be worthwhile to be set up to accept credit cards or am I throwing the cart way out in front of the horse? I have been seeing a lot of the attachments you can use on iphones/pads to accept cards and thought it might make transactions a little easier or should I stick with cash deals only?

Yes take credit cards !! I lost a 300.00 sale last year because i couldn't take them. The man's wife had the money but he wouldn't buy because he wanted to use a credit card. The next show i was at i made sure i could take a credit card and it has paid off.

Yes take credit cards !! I lost a 300.00 sale last year because i couldn't take them. The man's wife had the money but he wouldn't buy because he wanted to use a credit card. The next show i was at i made sure i could take a credit card and it has paid off.

Don't know what route you took but squareup.com/ is a great way to take cards.

Thanks for the input. Certainly don't want to miss out on that kind of sell. Steel, I worked K9 in North Georgia several years back. And Square was exactly what I was thinking. Thanks!

I have also done a number of shows. If you are a veteran, . . . have something displaying that you are.

Make sure your customers know that they are buying YOUR American Made product.

Know what you can make well, . . . make that and take it. I know you may get all kinds of answers for what to make, . . . what not to make, . . . we did a survey of over 1500 people some time back, . . . all told there was something near 1800 weapons mentioned.

Of the first 200: this is a quick run down we saw in the survey, . . . it doesn't add up to 200 because I didn't list every one, . . . just the most prolific.

1911's of all flavors = 70

Snub nose .38 / .357 either 5 or 6 shot = 31

Glocks of all flavors = 28

Keltecs = 15

Beretta 92 = 10

Sigs = 15

HK = 12

Surprizingly there was one Ruger Vaquero .45 and 2 Baby Eagles and 16 other makes/models were mentioned, some multiple times.

My most prolific models mirror this list, mostly, . . . being 1911's and the plastic wonder 9's.

I also take an assortment of belts and mag carriers. That makes for the opportunity for a "package deal" of matching holster, belt, and mag carrier. I very seldom sell only a belt, . . . almost always it is "together". The belts I sell are plain Jane, double layer, 1 1/2, and my customers love them.

EDITED: Also, . . . take a comfortable chair, . . . wear comfortable shoes, . . . and be prepared to be exhausted by the end of the day. I pack all my stuff in clear Walmart plastic boxes with locking lids, . . . go in with a 2 wheeled cart, . . . everything is priced / labeled / ready to sell as I pull it out. Get there early enough to get set up, . . . get a cup of coffee, . . . and be FULLY ready to sell at the opening bell. STAY until you see that it is only you and the other vendors, . . . bargain hunters like to hang around until the last minute, . . . and they usually have money burning holes in their pockets.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thanks Dwight, I am a Veteran and I had not considered the point you made about letting people know that. I appreciate you sharing the outcome of your work on the survey. I have never attended a show to look for leather since I started making my own a while back. I think I will check out the next couple of shows in the Atlanta area to see what looks to be appealing from a customer perspective as well. I have starting sketching out some magazine holders, I don't do any belts yet. Being in the poor house i'm still stitching everything by hand and a long straight stitch line like a belt might be a little out of my level right now. Again, I appreciate all the information.

Sorry I did not get back on your question, I was out of town to a show. Dwight covered the basic guns that I would start with. I use and like the square on my smart phone. Its great to be able to take the cards when you want but I run all sales even cash through it. There is no charge to enter a cash sale. When I get home I go on to their web site and download an excel file for the weekend with all sales income, I add my expenses for the show into the file and adjust my inventories and all done. It saves me a lot of time at the computer. You will get everybody and there brother giving you advice as to what you should make and things to add to your inventory..... don't let them push you past your abilities. Talk to the dealers and see what they are selling not just today but what has been a good seller over time, try to get a few on your side and promote you.

Went to a show recently and was only displaying belts and my CCW Training business. One thing I realized immediately on the belt side is there happen to be an awful lot of "healthy" attendees and my limit on length (48") didn't meet the requirements. Glad my holsters stayed at home on this one, since there wouldn't have been much room for an IWB one anyway.......

Have fun. You meet a lot of interesting people at these.

I have been considering the same thing what a great article you guys are great thanks for the information this is stuff a lot of salesmen wouldn't help with due to competitiveness of the sale but you all tend to help each other out thats awesome thanks again

I've never done any gun shows because I've always been busy enough that I never felt it necessary however there's one coming to my home town so I think Id like to do that one just for the exposure and to let people know where my shop is at. The problem I see is I don't think I'll have the time to be able to make up a bunch of stuff to sell. I plan on selling some holsters and belts and ill probably take some sharpening equipment and sharpen knives while I'm there.

What items sell well that you don't have to make?

Would it be worthwhile to take a patcher along and be able to sew patches on? My thought is even if I don't sew many or even any patches on at the show there should be enough local guys there that will see that I can and they'll know where they can get patches sewn on at in the future. It seems a lot of gun owners are also bikers so they may go well together.

Also for you guys selling double layer belts at the shows, do you take a bunch that are all sized or do you have a way to cut them down and finish the ends right at the show? I don't want to make up 20 or 30 of them to just sell a couple. Ill take the single layer ones, they are easy enough to cut there.

I have been doing gun shows for years. The biggest thing I can suggest is study study study...... Know your product and the products that you will be competing with: kydex, nylon, import leather holsters. Know the pluses of each and the cons so that you can give a knowledgeable answer to questions and be able to steer a buyer to what they need. If someone can't afford my leather then I usually know where in the show they can get something to cover their needs in the price range they have.

Next figure out your limits in what you can do. If I know that a type of holster or a what a customer wants done is not going to be safe or usable I may suggest another way or try to steer them into something else. Don't tell them they are wrong (even though they are), I usually get to busy to take the order.

Don"t ever forget that time is money.... You will get a set style and type of holsters that you make for certain guns. Every new order is going to have to have new patterns, hardware and time invested in R & D. If it is something that you could get a number of other orders then it may be worth while other wise once again I am to busy to take on new orders.

Remember that you will not be able to cover the vast amount of guns on the market. They market is changing all the time and sometimes by the time you get a dummy gun to fill orders that gun is no longer the popular one. This show you get a large request for a certain gun, you spend the time and money making some holsters up and then they set for ever before any one wants them again. For this reason I have refined my business into meeting the needs of the shooters that most other holster makers have dropped. The revolver and large pistols for the outdoors man and hunters, concealed carry, and horseback needs.

If you go the custom route, you will get orders but the money will be coming in as orders go out. If you do shows then you will need money for expenses. I usually try to carry number of holsters that I know will sell for the real standard guns. I have also tried to pick up small stuff that sells well that I did not have to make to pay for the tables, gas, parking and food while at the shows. Most people want something they can buy and walk out of the show with and not wait, for the same price as a nylon holster. There are people who understand the quality of craftsmanship and are willing to pay to get it. Don't let the rest get you frustrated and giving your product away. If you are producing quality and want paid for it then you need to pick quality shows with the numbers of people to find your market.

The biggest lesson I learned is that quality and customer service will build a business.

I spoke to every vendor selling pistols at the gun show this past weekend in Marietta Ga., just north of Atlanta. They said it's hit or miss with people setting up on the circuit. There were no vendors selling leather at that show but they said sometimes there may be as many as five. There was one guy selling a "one size fits all" contraption that looked more like a "one size fits none" cloth and polymer thingamajig. I did make some inroads with one of the local gun shops who was set up. I went by their shop today and got a sheath order and hopefully a little word of mouth advertising.