BradB

Singer slantomatic 500

Are Singer Slantomatic 500's good for sewing leather? I believe it is supposed to be able to but how thick can you sew?

Hi Brad,

The Singer Slant-o-matic 500A "Rocketeer" was by Singer's own words, the best sewing machine we ever built. I might agree with that if you tag "for the home market" onto the back of that; and if you are talking machines that do multiple stitches, it is the best. Nothing will ever match the 7 Class or the 111-155 for best in class Singer though.

This "Rocketeer" is a 1960's ALL METAL (I think their last) machine that is pretty rugged and had a pretty powerful motor for a home machine. In good shape they will sew anything you can get under the foot leatherwise. Remember it still has a "Home" motor, so you don't want to go to war with it, but test it out with 8oz veg and it will probably do it easily (wedge needle please). It threads front to back like most home machines. No Reverse that I am aware of, and the slant-o-matic comes from the ability to slant the needle to the side various amounts, I can't tell you why, but it must have been important to someone, that control is to the right of the stitch selection dials that are dead center on front of the machine. Nice machine for $100-$250, collectors push really cherry ones higher.

Art

Does anyone even have any experience with one of these??

Hi Brad,

The Singer Slant-o-matic 500A "Rocketeer" was by Singer's own words, the best sewing machine we ever built. I might agree with that if you tag "for the home market" onto the back of that; and if you are talking machines that do multiple stitches, it is the best. Nothing will ever match the 7 Class or the 111-155 for best in class Singer though.

This "Rocketeer" is a 1960's ALL METAL (I think their last) machine that is pretty rugged and had a pretty powerful motor for a home machine. In good shape they will sew anything you can get under the foot leatherwise. Remember it still has a "Home" motor, so you don't want to go to war with it, but test it out with 8oz veg and it will probably do it easily (wedge needle please). It threads front to back like most home machines. No Reverse that I am aware of, and the slant-o-matic comes from the ability to slant the needle to the side various amounts, I can't tell you why, but it must have been important to someone, that control is to the right of the stitch selection dials that are dead center on front of the machine. Nice machine for $100-$250, collectors push really cherry ones higher.

Art

Thanks for the information Art! We actually have 1 (hand me down) and picked up another for parts, the parts machine actually had the manual and all attachments, table, plus extra parts. We had no idea it could do all the things it can do.

Hi Brad,

Singer also has the CG "Commercial Grade" line of machines, the 550 and 590 look to be decent machines with a "fairly" powerful motor and a decent foot control for around $300 on sale, you have got to shop this one as the prices vary widely, it is a drop feed only machine, but the best new one I have seen in a while. It is a portable and would definitely fill the hole for an "on the road" machine although I still prefer the Sailrite walking foot machines.

Art

Thanks for the information Art! We actually have 1 (hand me down) and picked up another for parts, the parts machine actually had the manual and all attachments, table, plus extra parts. We had no idea it could do all the things it can do.

Hi Brad,

Singer also has the CG "Commercial Grade" line of machines, the 550 and 590 look to be decent machines with a "fairly" powerful motor and a decent foot control for around $300 on sale, you have got to shop this one as the prices vary widely, it is a drop feed only machine, but the best new one I have seen in a while. It is a portable and would definitely fill the hole for an "on the road" machine although I still prefer the Sailrite walking foot machines.

Art

I have one of these machines (very cool looking in a mid-century home!), but I would not reccommend sewing much leather with it. I have not tried on this machine, but did try vinyl quite a bit on the successor to this machine (another slanted needle machine, the Singer Touch and Sew). Great machines, but the motor is not powerful enough for the starting requirements with leather, the presser foot only lifts about 1/4", and the bobbin is small-ish for industrial thread. These machines do have reverse however.

I'd reccomend an industrial machine with:

1. Clutch motor and industrial table, A slower motor (1750 RPM rather than 3450), and/or speed reducer is also an option

2. OK: Needle feed, Best: Walking foot (also has needle feed)

Some machines I would reccomend: (most are used only, prices reflect machines that would come with table, etc)

1. Singer 111wXXX walking foot machines (no reverse...) $300-500

2. Consew 206 series (walking foot, vertical bobbin, reverse) $700-1200

3. Pfaff 145 (walking foot, reverse) $600-900

4. Pfaff 545 or 1245 (walking foot, reverse, large bobbin, high lift) $900-1500

5. Juki LU563 (walking foot, reverse, large bobbin, high lift) $700-1200

Check out craigslist, I recently picked up a fully featured Pfaff 545 with speed reducer for $500. I've also picked up a pfaff 145 (mis-categorized on ebay) for a bit over $100 ($250 shipped). I've even picked up a needle-feed machine (singer) off craigslist for free!

Have fun,

Gavin