Sign in to follow this  
samcolt45

Osborn #266 Sewing Palm

I'm considering picking up one with my next SL order.How useful are they when saddle stitching. I'd really like some input from those who have used them.

Thanks,

Bob

I use my all the time and I'm glad I bought it. I normally work 10-12 oz latigo but when I've used thinner leather I haven't had a need to use it. I've been wondering if a thimble might have been a better option though.

This is a sail makers palm for driving a large neadle through heavy cloth I use something similar called a collar makers palm for sewing horse collars the neadles used are huge and a cross between a pricker and neadle and are driven through the leather without the aid of a pricker or pre made hole with a raw hide thong or very heavy thread. With a saddle stitch you use a pricker to drive the hole through not the neadles the only time you would need to drive the neadles through is at the end of your stitching when closing off here just use the pricker handle and or small pliers, so unless you are using large neadles that are ment to be driven like collar neadles it's of no use if you are using small driven neadles, (glovers and quilting neadles) use thimbles.

This is a sail makers palm for driving a large neadle through heavy cloth I use something similar called a collar makers palm for sewing horse collars the neadles used are huge and a cross between a pricker and neadle and are driven through the leather without the aid of a pricker or pre made hole with a raw hide thong or very heavy thread. With a saddle stitch you use a pricker to drive the hole through not the neadles the only time you would need to drive the neadles through is at the end of your stitching when closing off here just use the pricker handle and or small pliers, so unless you are using large neadles that are ment to be driven like collar neadles it's of no use if you are using small driven neadles, (glovers and quilting neadles) use thimbles.

Thanks Les, I'm somewhat new to this style of stitch, so forgive my need for clarification. What do you mean by pricker? I do have an Osborn edged awl to create the holes.

Thanks Les, I'm somewhat new to this style of stitch, so forgive my need for clarification. What do you mean by pricker? I do have an Osborn edged awl to create the holes.

A pricker is another name for a stitching awl this needs to be sharp and well polished, the edges at least some of the way up wants to be sharp as well as the point, that's when you are using the pricker to make the holes if you are prepunching the hole with say a pricking iron the awl is just used to open the holes the pricker doesn't need to be sharp but still well polished for ease of use. When hand stitching using an awl to make the holes as you go you want to make the holes large enough to so you can push and pull the neadles through with ease by hand. I've always used John James neadles I also use their awl blades but Osborn also do proper harness neadles and awls stear clear of Tandy neadles those things are for darning socks. Here is a video of how to use a sail makers palm and a video of a master saddler sewing a saddle stitch.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=gzKhbhdEfC8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgzKhbhdEfC8