Customer brought me a Mustang seat his dog got hold of while he was in the hospital. Anyway this is my first attempt at repairing a seat but I have been doing leather for 30 years. This is an area I really want to get into as there seems to be a large market for it. Question is, how do you remove the rivets from the seat? I am guessing you drill them out so they can be removed and replaced but is there a better way? Last thing I want to do is cause anymore damamge than has already been done. Thanks for the help, I look forward to several replies.

If you drill a rivet it's bound to enlarge the hole, I find it better to grasp the edge with diagonal pliers and break the flange off by twisting it back and forth.

Thanks Tree Reaper, I will give that a try. Shouldn't have any problems after that but just wanted to check before I started drilling or ripping a seat apart, those things are not cheap.

Thanks again for the advice.

You might find a small pin punch helpful, once you get flange off you can punch the rivet through the hole.

Good luck.

Thanks again, I've got several small pin punches of various size, I'll try that as well. Tree Reaper you have been a big help.

This may be a little late, but I recently did the same project only on a corbin seat. I used a drill just slightly larger than the hole on the inside of the rivet, this way it did not enlarge the hole. Hope this helps...

Thanks Spartan, actually ended up using both methods, drill to drill out the center then a small punch to knock them out. Both worked real well with no enlargment of the original hole. Thanks for the infor though.