YOHOHO

Crank Vs Powered Splitter

I'm just starting to look for a splitter. I will likely be doing low volume and small pieces, but I'm looking for consistant quality output.

How do the Landis crankers compare with Artisan/Cobra/etc.? I'm new to this, so is there something special I should consider?

On the same note, how to the powered skivers work at splitting small pieces (1.5" straps).

Thanks so much!

Fortuna-SAS Leather Splitter this is the cadillac of splitters if you ask me..It has a band saw type blade that runs horizontal and is very accurate.

Blade type splitters (such as the Landis as well as the Artisan and Cobra blade splitters) are less expensive. The Landis can split up to six inches. The Artisan and the Cobra can do 12-18 (forgot exactly). They will split leather nicely but only down to a certain thickness. The minimum thickness you can get down to with a blade splitter is probably 2oz. Any thinner than that, these splitters just don't have the precision to do reliably. These cost from about $400 - 1800 depending on model and condition.

The powered splitters (band knife splitters) have a moving blade like a band saw. The basically come in two flavors. One with a powered top roller and one without. Some can do both (swap out the top roller for a bar). They will both split to sub 1oz thickness. The top roller models will be able to handle stiffer leather but will not be as precise on thinner materials. The ones with a top bar (no roller) will work better for super thin things but won't handle stiff veg tan as well. These splitters will be $5000 and up depending on model and condition.

I wish I could have a band knife splitter....

Andrew

I have a Landis 6 inch hand crank splitter and a Randall 18" Model N splitter. Both are blade type. The Randall was motorized but I converted it to a hand crank. I found that with the motor it ruined too much leather as it would grab the leather if there was any stretch. They both work well on heavy veg tanned or latigos. As Andrew stated they will only split down to 1-1/2 or 2 ounce. They allow you to split down heavy scraps to use for a lot of projects like wallets. I've seen demos for both the Cobra and the Artisan. They are both motorized and I believe the motors are reversible. Both seem to work very well. The Cobra is based on the 6" Landis and is 14" wide. I know its available with a motor or hand cranked. I believe it's around $2000. The Landis is a great solid splitter. I think that's what I would look for if I was looking for my first splitter. They come up on eBay from time to time. There was one a few weeks ago that went for around $800. Weaver has an 8" hand cranked that is based on the Landis. It goes for just under $2000. A nice machine. Eventually, I would like to find a good band knife splitter...but $$$$.

I purchased the Cobra splitter in February after debating for over a year. It has been a great addition to my saddle shop. It splits evenly all across the blade. The machine is easy to adjust, simple to use and easy to maintain. The machine will split strap, skirting, latigo and harness leathers extremely well. I primarily build saddles and related tack and in the short time I've had the Cobra splitter, it has saved me a great deal of time and has allowed me to utilize more of the leather. I run all my skirt fillers through it as well my linings. I also run my horn covers and breechings through it. Yesterday, I split down a swell cover to get a consistent thickness. Some of the small pieces of latigo I split down that I was able to cut lace from. The thinnest I've split is about one ounce on a 7x7 checkbook lining. On the negative side, if the piece being split runs from firm leather to flank (strainer cover), the machine will will sometimes grab, bunch and tear. This is where the hand crank option (I don't have one) would be beneficial. All in all a great machine and no buyers regret.

JOE

sorry for the slow response. Thank you all so much for taking the time to offer these details. I'm still not sure of my direction, but I feel better informed.

Great stuff...Thank you