Hi guys this is my first post. I hope I could get some help with this.

My brother has a leather tool pouch that's about worn out, he asked me if I could make him a replacement, so I told him I would give it a shot. It's a simple pouch here's a picture of it, well this one is new. (see attachments for original). The sides and bottom are riveted not sewn, my question is how do I set the rivets on something like this. The first side I imagine would be easy because I have access but the second side I wouldn't have normal access to because it would be enclosed. Thanks for any help.

407X.jpg

post-40550-0-42262600-1366690925_thumb.j

post-40550-0-94458200-1366690981_thumb.j

post-40550-0-99258400-1366690993_thumb.j

Edited by Sam 9

You need something you can put inside it that will act as your anvil. A piece of steel flat bar etc. You could also rework it to have all the rivets on the outside. Depends on what direction you want to take it.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I'll try that. There are pouches with the rivets on the outside but I think that makes the pouch flatter. The one I want to make is rounded, I believe they might of molded it, to keep it's shape. Thanks again.

Sam

I make similar pouches to hold ammunition magazines, . . . riveted in the exact same way.

First, . . . make a wooden insert that is 1/4 inch shy of the width of the pouch.

Get a piece of flat stock steel 1/4 inch thick, . . . as wide as the pouch, . . . and the length is the same as the depth of the pouch.

Put the wood in, . . . lay the steel on the wood, . . . set the pouch up on edge, . . . and hammer away.

I always position the rivet so it is pointing out of the pouch, . . . and I usually give it one extra whack after setting it, . . . that flattens the inside, keeping items from catching on the rivets.

Also, don't use a maul, . . . use a small ball peen, . . . it sets them better. You'll mushroom up the top of the setter, . . . but they come free in the big bags of rivets anyway from Tandy, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Great method, I'll try it, thanks a lot Dwight. :thumbsup:

I checked out your webpage, you have some very nice work.

Sam