Chaed

Another First Machine Buying Thread

Dear Leatherworkers and Sewing Machine Experts,

I've spent some time browsing through the sewing machine section before making this thread, but there is just so much information on here, I need some help filtering it all.

As the title gives away, I'm looking for a sewing machine. What I want to sew with it will be saddles mainly, and other horse tack (headstalls, breast collars, the occasional spur strap and chap). Now what I've gathered so far is that there are machines for thick leather and ones for thin leather, but I can't get my head around as to where to draw a line between the two. Where does thin end and thick start? And would one machine manage the above items, or am I rather looking at two there?

And question number #2: I live in Austria, that equals Europe and that equals immense shipping and tax costs if I import one from the US (not to mention my phone bill if I need to call up customer service). I've read about names like Singer, Adler, Pfaff... Being neighbors with Germany there are lots of those around here and quite many being sold after old saddleries and shoemakers close down. I just have no clue what to look for.

Perhaps you could give me some heads up on that matter.

Thanks a lot,

Anne

Anne i'm no expert. But i would get a heavy machine first that would sew 3/4 inch. I have a Ferdco Pro 2000 that i use for 95 % of the work that i do. It will sew down to about 5 ounce leather and do a nice stitch. I'm guessing in your part of the world Adlers and Paff's are more plentiful. I don't know what model numbers to look for though. Trox seems to know quite a bit about both the Adler and Paff machines so he may be able to help on which machines to look for.

Anne;

Look around the dealers in EU for a used Adler 205-370 or -374. If properly adjusted for clearance, they can sew up to 22mm of leather. Even not so-adjusted, most will sew 19mm. They have a very large cylindrical shaped bobbin that holds a lot of thread. The 205s use system 794 needles, which are available in a wide range of sizes, accommodating thread sizes from Tex 90 (Tkt 30) up to Tex 400 (Tkt 7). The machines must be setup for the largest size needle in advance, by the dealer, or by the purchaser.

Or, you can purchase a brand new 441 clone, like a big Cobra or Cowboy or Techsew, from one of our well-respected member-dealers, at about the same price as a used Adler 205. These machines are already capable of sewing with the largest available needles, on down, with no further dinking with spacers. Most of them will sew 22mm out of the box.

I looked into shipping costs last year and found that one can have a large, heavy machine shipped by Ocean Freighter for just under $500 USD, plus a crating fee (a special box is needed) and any cartage from the dealer to the dock. All together, these costs would add another $300 - $400, or so, to the freighter cost, depending on if the dealer can deliver the machine to the dock themselves. Your only additional fees would be warehousing upon arrival and any EU imposed taxes applicable to commercial equipment. Those taxes would apply to any machine you by and import in the EU region.

Feel free to contact our dealers to see what kind of costs they would incur in getting a machine across the ocean to you. It would arrive adjusted, and sewn off, with the proper thread, needles, oil and extra bobbins. You would even get a motor set up for 220v.

Edited by Wizcrafts