raysouth

Rivet/spot Setters And Dies

Howdy All,

Wondering if anyone would have input about rivet/spot setters that are reasonably current, have available dies and resonably priced?

Have looked at several on eBay and they all seem to be of Chinese origin and a bit pricey, I believe.

I would like to think that there is a multi-purpose setter available, along with a good selection of dies for various applications.

Using the hammer is becoming a bit more difficult and thought I would seek something to alleviate the pounding.

Would appreciate any advice, assistance along these lines. Might save me from making another foolish mistake. lol.

Gent from China has one on eBay; item number 400296431001, a KAM JO950 but again, no reviews or advice from anyone having purchased or used this unit.

God Bless.

Ray

Ray, check out Weavers little wonder.

Ray,

the Tandy hand press is on sale at 99.00 and the dies are also on sale too.......I just got some of the dies and they are a little pricey but if your setting a lot it is worth it to me......just my 2 cents

Ray,

You might want to look into this a few here have one http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?products_id=634

or if you want to have a go yourself http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/936799-Drilling-Hole-in-Ram-on-Arbor-Press

I'm thinking of going this way as the Tandy press plus the round punch attachment I need is expensive in Australia even when on sale.

That knifekits press is just an arbor press with holes drilled in the ram, you can buy the same one at harbor freight and drill the holes in for about 30 bucks. The problem is you'd also need dies from some other machine. You can use the tools that are designed to be used with a mallet in the press but you will not get the same cosistent results as you would with the actual dies. In fact its really no better than using a mallet other than its quieter.( I tried doing just that) The presses themselves no matter which you choose really aren't the big cost, its getting all the dies you need for the various attachments that start adding up.

I have the knifekits eyelet dies as well and they work very good at rolling the eyelets over but they are pretty specific and they only have two sizes for 2 different eylets.

I personally would buy a press and get the dies rather than try to use an arbor press and have to modify it anyway, the difference in price in the end will be very small in the long run and it'll be less of a headache.

I had a heritage foot press that I sold, I regret that quite a bit now but at the time I had no dies I needed and it would have been an investment to get them and it wasn't feasible at the time, now I would if I had it. I like the looks of the little wonder though, it seems decent and versitile and reasonable.

The situation in Australia could be different though, it may be worthwhile making something yourself there but I'd recommend springing for the dies.

Yep I was just showing Ray that one at knifekits in case he didn't want to try drilling into the bar himself. For myself I only need the round punch press attachment I don't use snaps or anything and it's $125 AUD plus gst and shipping, just seems kind of spendy for a small piece of metal and a base plate.

I use to be able to use Tandy US in the past but since a store opened here you are restricted to that one and the prices aren't that great i.e we definitely don't get the US special prices.

For my use a modified arbor will probably be fine looking at Rays OP though he probably is going to be more restricted as it sounds like he needs a few dies.

Ray that KAM one on Ebay looks like the lighter duty model here is the website for them http://www.kamsnaps.com/Snap-Press-p112.html

Cem, have you tried calling in to a US store to order? You can usually pick your store if you just call in but if you order online it goes to your closest store. It might be worth a shot if there's a big difference in price.

The steel in those arbor presses drill pretty easily. It must be the Chinese steel or something. Its easier than it seems for anyone wanting to try it. I drilled each end of my ram out with different size holes then I just turn it around if I need to use the other size hole. One side will fit a stamp handle for 3d stamps and the other will fit the knife kit dies. If you just need to punch holes it will work good for that,

Howdy All,

Wondering if anyone would have input about rivet/spot setters that are reasonably current, have available dies and resonably priced?

Have looked at several on eBay and they all seem to be of Chinese origin and a bit pricey, I believe.

I would like to think that there is a multi-purpose setter available, along with a good selection of dies for various applications.

Using the hammer is becoming a bit more difficult and thought I would seek something to alleviate the pounding.

Would appreciate any advice, assistance along these lines. Might save me from making another foolish mistake. lol.

Gent from China has one on eBay; item number 400296431001, a KAM JO950 but again, no reviews or advice from anyone having purchased or used this unit.

God Bless.

Ray

A HUGE, THANK YOU, FOR THE ASSISTANCE FROM EVERYONE. APPEARS AS THOUGH THE DEVICE IS WITHIN REASON BUT DIES FOR EACH OPERATION WOULD BREAK THE BANK. I USE MANY DIFFERENT STYLES OF SPOTS, RIVETS, GROMMETS, ETC; AND I THINK I WILL HAVE TO KEEP ON "POUNDIN" A BIT LONGER.

REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TAKING TIME TO GET ME SO MUCH INFORMATION.

GOD BLESS AND ENJOY THE DAY.

RAY