johnj

Help Me I D This Machine.

It has a brother motor , it,s heavy duty. Can I use it on light leather like wallet interiors , holsters.

post-18323-0-97369400-1367376645_thumb.j

Wallet interiors, yes, using #69 bonded nylon thread and either a roller equipped foot or a Teflon foot. Holsters, absolutely not.

Wiz, can you tell me any more about this machine?

It looks like a typical household/domestic sewing machine from the one picture you posted. Some close-ups would help get you more facts or conjecture. It seems to be a drop feed machine, with a Class 15 front end, meaning a horizontal hook that takes Class 15 bobbins. It will use standard domestic sewing machine needles, which are available in sizes up to #18 (110 metric). Unless the machine has been modified with heavy springs, it will only be able to handle up to #69 bonded nylon thread and may sew through no more than about 1/4 inch of soft or medium temper leather. I have no way of knowing the maximum stitch length, but these machines usually max out at between 5 or 6 to the inch.

If you want to penetrate belt leather with this machine, you'll need to upgrade the motor and control pedal to a "150 watt" model that draws 1.5 amps max, at 110 volts. Most home style machines shipped with motors rated at 1 watt or less. A cogged belt is best, as long as the motor gear is also cogged. A Teflon or roller foot will be required to allow the leather to feed evenly. You'll need to crank down the foot pressure a lot to hold down the leather between stitches.

Thankyou very much for the detailed information it helps a lot.