I have spent the last few weeks reading everything I could here on holster making and have finally finished a couple that I am really happy with. I wanted to share pictures and get your feedback and opinions. I did get a little dye on the white thread on the one (darn it), but overall, I'm pretty happy with them. They are both for the XD Subcompact 9mm. I used the Boss to sew the avenger style and the pink and black one was by hand. I never knew this would be so addicting! :spoton:

post-40825-0-67596200-1368574859_thumb.j

post-40825-0-04240700-1368574872_thumb.j

Edited by hestes

If this is your first try you did a nice job what part of Texas are you in I am in San Antonio

www.mecopocketholsters.com

I am near Amarillo. I made a couple others first but I wasn't really happy with how they turned out.

I'm open to input or suggestions if you see something that needs work. I want to get to where I can make and sell high quality products. :)

Edited by hestes

I'm open to input or suggestions if you see something that needs work. I want to get to where I can make and sell high quality products. :)

First I want to make sure you know that you did a very nice job for your first couple of holsters.

Since you've asked for input I'll give mine.

1) Move the stitch line along the trigger guard/frame as close to the profile of the gun as you can get it.

2) Round off all sharp corners.

3) If your are going to hand stitch I think a traditional saddle stitch looks much better than a straight stitch. Al Stohlman's book The Art of Hand Sewing Leather is a good place to start. This video is also nice

4) My personal aesthetic would have me trim the bottom of the pancake holster to follow the line of the muzzle instead of being flat across the bottom. That will get rid of that extra flap of leather at the bottom which will get flappier (is that a word?).

These are all fairly minor things that aren't too hard to fix. Again, you did good.

Bronson

Thank you for the input! :) I appreciate it!

Id like to see a picture of the avenger with the gun in the holster, so i can give you some feedback on something that may help you get your pattern a little tighter.

you can always shoot me an email as its easier for me to check and reply to and input pictures.

Saddle stitch is the way to go for hand stitching. And i agree with the other poster about adjusting your pattern on the pancake, also rounding your corner a little more, make them flow. There is a time nad place for sharp edges, i love putting sharp edges on my holsters but its only warrented in certain areas, you can see some examples on some of my work.