Pelallito

Chase Pattern Leather Splitter Picture/info Needed!

Hello,

I won a Chase pattern LS a while ago on ebay and started cleaning it up. I had to put it on a backburner but would like to finish it and be able to use it. I made a new blade for it that is not heat treated yet.

I used O1.

I need photos or information about the bottom roller. My machine seems to be an older model that did not have a bottom roller. I would like to retrofit the roller.

Is this roller fixed in place or is it adjustable for height?

gringobill in Major Bummer-http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=36437&hl=+chase%20+pattern%20+leather%20+splitter#entry225399 poste a photo that shows what looks like a handle that extends out the back. There is also a small lever on the top that seems to be long enough to engage/affect the top roller.

I would appreciate all advice and information that you can give me. My splitter is at a friends house right now, because he is going to paint it for me.

Thanks for the help.

Fred

Ask Bruce Johnson, he is a moderator here and sell used leather tools too. He espesially like Chase style splitters and know all about them.

http://brucejohnsonleather.com/content/index.php/leather_tools_for_sale/leather-bench-machines-leather-splitters-and-skivers/

http://campbell-bosworth.com/articles/Splitting-Machines.pdf

Tor

Fred,

The bottom roller is adjustable for height. There are two screws on the frame about half way in on either side. Adjusting machine screws in them will drop or raise the roller. I usually set mine between a full 1/16" to scant 1/8" of space between the blade and the bottom roller. The thought is you just want enough pressure between the rollers to make sure the leather feeds squarely into the blade edge. If you are doing thinner leather and taking off a little then you'd want the bottom roller higher. Conversely if you are splitting skirting down to 4 oz in one pass you need some room so drop that roller.

Trox and Bruce,

Thanks for the replies!

I would really like to see a photo of the bottom roller, if possible. The other question is this. What does the lever on the top do? I did not get one with my machine , and don't know if I need to make one, Dimensions would be nice to have also.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Fred

Bump

I have a few Chases apart and will have pictures tomorrow. Batteries died in the camera half way through a shoot tonight. One spare in the drawer, stole one from the wireless mouse, and paired them with two of the dead ones. You'd think that'd work. It did for one more picture.

I put the splitter on a back burner because I took it to a friends house to have it painted. I just got it back and still need a few photos of the bottom roller assembly to retrofit one on my machine.

I need the roller diameter and any and all information about the assembly.

I want to put this back together and working. LOL

Thanks to all,

Fred