NEW TO THIS FORUM!

I want to start making my own fire helmet leather shields for friends and family but I'm not sure what equipment I need to get started. I would like to stamp the letters and carve the artwork myself. What type of paint do I use and tools should I buy? thanks all!

I attached a picture of a helmet front I did in like 30 minutes. I was testing Ideas...

-Alex

post-42016-0-61599300-1369265791_thumb.j

Alex

Welcome to the forum brotha!

When I make shields I use

Round knife

Straight knife

Contact adhesive

Dye

Edger

Saddle soap and old jeans(for slicking edges)

Sewing machine

If you want to carve your #'s or letters or a design

You'll also need

Swivel knife

Bevelers

You can substitute some of the tools such as use a razor/box knife to cut your leather and you can hand stitch if you don't have a machine.

I just started using oil based model car paint on radio straps I make. I was using a latex paint and it didn't hold up well. I'll have to see how the oil based paint holds up.

I'm sure I missed some stuff and hopefully some others well jump in.

Best of luck, Mike

Mike, thank you so much for the quick reply!

I cant wait to start on this. Another big question I have is what type of leather should I use and where should I purchase it? I will most likely need to pick the leather with the right thickness.

Thanks.

If carving or stamping I use skirting/veg tan. I use wicket and craig. But you have to buy a side. If I only needed small amounts I'd call Springfield leather. You might be able to get a small amount of Herman oak which in my option is the best stuff out there. When I build mine I use 4 layers of 3-4oz for a total of around 12oz give or take a little.

I don't do ant carving on mine. I build mine like the Conway shields. Except I don't use laser printing on vinyl for names or numbers. I cut them out of leather. If your gonna stamp or carve everything you could use one piece of 8/9oz and line it with a piece of 3/4oz. Or just use one piece of 12oz and don't line it.

I like my finished shields to be about 12oz thick. That's just my preference it's not a rule. You'll just mess around with it and find out what you like.

Best of luck, Mike

I made two shields a few weeks ago. They were my first leather work of any kind as well.

First one, I carved, dyed black, painted with acrylic, and topped with 50/50 Resolene/Water. Not sure how well that one's going to hold up. Second one I did like rawhide described. Letters cut from leather & epoxied on, everything else saddle stitched by hand with waxed thread and two needles. Wore this one in a training fire last weekend. It held up pretty well through almost certainly the worst conditions it'll ever see.

Got almost everything from Springfield leather. I highly recommend them, they're great. I got 2 lbs tooling leather remnants which came with a bunch of really nice leather, in perfect sizes for things like shields. Hard to beat for $4/lb.

post-35439-0-11010900-1369631268_thumb.j

post-35439-0-70334400-1369631283_thumb.j

post-35439-0-56779600-1369631307_thumb.j

post-35439-0-44164700-1369631323_thumb.j

Edited by mojo3120

Thanks to the both of you for taking the time on your feedback. I can't wait to get started. Appreciate all the help! Stay safe

-Alex

Letters cut from leather & epoxied on, everything else saddle stitched by hand with waxed thread and two needles.

How did you cut those letter so precise and small? they really look good. is it still holding up pretty well being epoxied on? and if so, what kind of epoxy did you use?

Hi everyone. I have been experimenting with making leather shields for my department. Does anyone know if there is a place to buy the brass backer bars used to keep a curve at the top of the shield? Cutting, stitching and lettering seem like they will come along with some practice but I cant seem to find these backer bars anywhere.

Thanks!

Hey Buck,

What ounce leather are you using to make your shields? I don't use the brass backers on my shields. With the thickness of leather I use, they aren't needed.

I made two shields a few weeks ago. They were my first leather work of any kind as well.

First one, I carved, dyed black, painted with acrylic, and topped with 50/50 Resolene/Water. Not sure how well that one's going to hold up. Second one I did like rawhide described. Letters cut from leather & epoxied on, everything else saddle stitched by hand with waxed thread and two needles. Wore this one in a training fire last weekend. It held up pretty well through almost certainly the worst conditions it'll ever see.

Got almost everything from Springfield leather. I highly recommend them, they're great. I got 2 lbs tooling leather remnants which came with a bunch of really nice leather, in perfect sizes for things like shields. Hard to beat for $4/lb.

Is this the leather you use? I want to buy the same kind. http://springfieldleather.com/30018/Pieces%2CTooling%2C2-lbs-Bag/

Thanks

i use 10-11 oz sing piece leather hermann oak from Springfield i want ot eventually get into stitching by machine but dont know where to start