Like the title says, this is my first time making a bridle that adjusts at the top. Naturally, I couldn't make it totally plain, and in hind sight I probably should've either left the top spikes on the cheeks off, or have placed them lower to give the browband more room on the smallest setting. The brow is the average 15", and end to end it'll go from 36"-41 1/2". Considering the ring size on snaffles, I wonder if the cheeks should be a hair shorter also.. But, I'm still pretty pleased with it!

post-20503-0-28460900-1369468844_thumb.j

post-20503-0-91730200-1369468850_thumb.j

post-20503-0-83720600-1369468852_thumb.j

post-20503-0-99578900-1369469027_thumb.j

Pretty cool looking, but you need a throatlatch to complete it.

Does it really need one? I know the purpose a throatlatch serves, but every sliding ear headstall I've seen lacks one, and I've seen both English and Western riders go without(or have it so loose it might aswell not be there).

I agree for a sliding ear headstall to not have a throatlatch, but a full browband headstall needs one to balance, and yours with the heavy studs would look better with one, just my opinion.

Nice work. I like the pink leather and the studs are very cool. Mind you, you wouldn't want it on a horse that hasn't learned not to rub on you. ;-)

It does look as though the top stud on the off-side cheek-piece is obstructing the correct lay of the browband, forcing it upward into this horse's ear. On a horse with a longer head, that wouldn't be a problem though. Removing the top stud or letting the poll strap out half a notch might solve that. I like a horse to carry a bit a tad more than the 'create a smile in the corner of the mouth' folks. But, it's a bit hard to tell from the pic just how snuggly that's already done up.

Will we be seeing a set of pink reins to match? ;-)

Edited by vacacaballo

@harrington, I suppose, but it will have to be for another headstall, or made out of thinner leather; just enough room for the browband to slide freely and squirt cleaner in.

@vacacaballo, Thankyou! And yes, definitely not for cheek rubbing ponies! Yes, when it's adjusted to the smallest hole the top spike indeed makes the browband sit higher than it wants to. Another thing that will have to be remembered for the next; spikes are riveted on pretty good. Also couldve been remedied if I had used a concho to hold the browband on instead, but I didn't want to go that route.

As far as bit adjustment, I tend to follow the one little wrinkle rule, to make sure its sitting where it wont bang into teeth without being made to. The rings on the snake snaffle are fairly sized and a little further from the mouthpiece due to the offset style, and I only made the bridle to fit for non-offset snaffles with regular ring size and for regular shanked bits. If I switch to one of his regular bits I could drop the buckle one hole and the browband would sit normally on him.

And I may indeed attempt some reins to match, if i can find some good solid, pale leather to work with. The pink isn't paint, but the color sure pops!