A friend of mine just gave me 25 sq ft of Elephant hide. Looks like full grain,

4-5 oz. Is there any special characteristic that makes it particularly desirable

to anyone but the elephant? :angel_not:

Other than you saved about $1200.00 on that piece of Elephant, which would make it VERY desirable to just about anyone.

It is a very strong and durable leather, used mostly as accents or for smaller projects that don't require a lot of leather. The main reason is the cost of it, usually around $45 to $49 per square foot.

Good catch.

Ken

Edited by Beaverslayer

Did she also give you a certificate to show it was legal? Is the real thing or just elephant on cow? They use a lot of elephant on cow in Thialand and they sell it as elephant.

David Genadek

Tiffany,

I agree with Ken, elephant is a strong and durable skin. If the skin is genuine, you have a valuable skin. Elephant is often used for the vamps and counter covers on western boots. I have a pair of vintage Tony Lama boots made from elephant as well as a pair of Justin's in elephant.

Randy

A friend of mine just gave me 25 sq ft of Elephant hide. Looks like full grain,

4-5 oz. Is there any special characteristic that makes it particularly desirable

to anyone but the elephant? :angel_not:

I bought an elephant leather wallet when I was in Viet Nam. It lasted about 5 years, the longest of any billfold I have ever owned. :yes:

Did she also give you a certificate to show it was legal? Is the real thing or just elephant on cow? They use a lot of elephant on cow in Thialand and they sell it as elephant.

David Genadek

David,

Tell us more about your trip to Thailand.

David,

Tell us more about your trip to Thailand.

Brandon,

It started off as a trip for Liz to help with some Gait research but schedules got changed and we already had tickets and no time to change the schedule so they hooked us with soe mahoots and we rode elephants for a few days. Any one can go do this and it is a really cool experience. The Thai government has set up an elephant sanctuary in Lampang in conjunction with the foresty service. They are working to save the elephants in Thailand. Here is a link to a gallery of shots of elephants. Here is a link to shots of other things. Lastly here are some flowers.

Elephants are big deal there so I thought it was funny to see the elephant on cow being sold as the real thing all over the place in the markets. I visited one leather factory and told them I had a factory in the US so we had a good chat. They did also have real exotics and when I asked about the certification they were johnny on the spot with it.

David Genadek

Brandon,

It started off as a trip for Liz to help with some Gait research but schedules got changed and we already had tickets and no time to change the schedule so they hooked us with soe mahoots and we rode elephants for a few days. Any one can go do this and it is a really cool experience. The Thai government has set up an elephant sanctuary in Lampang in conjunction with the foresty service. They are working to save the elephants in Thailand. Here is a link to a gallery of shots of elephants. Here is a link to shots of other things. Lastly here are some flowers.

Elephants are big deal there so I thought it was funny to see the elephant on cow being sold as the real thing all over the place in the markets. I visited one leather factory and told them I had a factory in the US so we had a good chat. They did also have real exotics and when I asked about the certification they were johnny on the spot with it.

David Genadek

David,

Thank you!

Brandon