Mo32

Few Question About Leather For Home Decore Pillows!

Hello

Iam brand new to sewing leather, I have oportunity to make few home decor leather pillows for my friend shop.

I have a Juki LU 562 but I have no knowledge about leather.

What kind of leather would you recomended for home decor pillows? What thicknes ? Weight?

Any recomendation on good company I could order leather good quality leather at good price?

Is it possible to order pre cut pieces like 20x20" 18x18 or 16x12 I don't really want to be stuck with a lot of leftovers scraps. Would that be much more expensive than buying whole hides?

What do you think would be the cost of making of one 20x20" pillow?

Any sugesstions and advice on making home decor leather pillows would be very appreciated.

Thank you

I'll try to answer as much as I can. I'm going to tool me a pillow MAYBE on some tooling pig I got cheap at Springfield Leather Company because it's only around 2 oz. I've never made a pillow before so that may be too light weight, will have to see when the leather comes. However it is veg tanned for tooling. I would recommend Springfield to anyone, great products and excellent customer service. I would give them a call at http://springfieldleather.com/ toll free and ask them some of these questions. I'm pretty sure they'll cut your leather for you and you don't have to buy whole hides from them anyway, they sell it by the sq. ft. They also have so big hides they sell of upholstery type leather for $20.00 a piece and you could make several pillows from one hide. They will come as close to the color you want as possible. I bought one just to see what they were like and got a pretty pine colored green and it was nice. They sell their veg tanned also by the sq. ft. if you want to try some of the heavier leather for your pillows, like maybe 4-5oz.

The cost is up to you really and how much you do on the pillow. Are you going to tool it? Are you going to fringe it? If you're just going to sew it inside out then stuff it the process should be very fast. If you're going to tool, dye, fringe, put a finish on it, condition the leather, etc. on veg tanned it becomes a longer process. I hope some of this was helpful. Cheryl

Hello Cheryl

Thoes pillows will be simple just two squares, sometimes I might use different colors or leather cord but thats it.

And my friend supply the inserts too.

What kind of zipper should be use with leather, in fabric pillows I always use just regural plastic invisible zipper. Do you think the same could be use with leather. I am going to check out Springfield Leather. thank you