Shorts

My first holster ever

I was going through some old folders here on file and I ran across the first holster I ever built (back in '04 or '05). It was for the first pistol I purchased in '04. I couldn't find anything other than a generic Uncle Mike's nylon thing for carry. So I built a leather one myself.

Anyway, talk about humble beginnings...Nobody laugh! :blush: There's one person here who I know has seen this thing!

Although I don't have this pistol anymore, the holster remains alive and well at my parents house. I never did finish it any further than wet mold and a terrible edge burnish job. Once it dried, I strapped it on and wore it for range and carry - I loved it. After the new year when I get a chance to get back home, I'll get a pic of its condition.

Edited by Shorts

I was going through some old folders here on file and I ran across the first holster I ever built (back in '04 or '05). It was for the first pistol I purchased in '04. I couldn't find anything other than a generic Uncle Mike's nylon thing for carry. So I built a leather one myself.

Anyway, talk about humble beginnings...Nobody laugh! :blush: There's one person here who I know has seen this thing!

Although I don't have this pistol anymore, the holster remains alive and well at my parents house. I never did finish it any further than wet mold and a terrible edge burnish job. Once it dried, I strapped it on and wore it for range and carry - I loved it. After the new year when I get a chance to get back home, I'll get a pic of its condition.

That looks like a great first holster! I only hope mine turns out that good!!

Wish I had pictures of my first holster. It was a little over 50 years ago, and was a western style Mexican loop style, made from old inner tube (my dad ran a gas station), and fit a Nichols cap gun. At the time, I thought it was great stuff, and it kept my trusty weapon from falling on the ground. I am sure your stitching is considerably better than mine was. We all had to start somewhere! Yours does look good for a first holster, and meets the primary requirement of a good holster, that being that it works well for it's intended task, and is useful. All the rest is just window dressing. It is good to see other people's beginning work, as it helps to give us perspective. I have seen your recent work, and it is great.

John

So was that the 86 Cheetah with the tip up barrel? I got talked into making a holster for one of those when I worked at a local guns store. That was what brought me out of a three year hiatus from holster making, and that's when I began considering picking up the hobby again, and eventually making it a business....

Anyhow, nice job for a first attempt. I think that the large majority of holster makers start out that way. My first holster was for an H&K VP70Z, and my second was for a Browning BDM, both of which I couldn't find leather for at the time. Eventually I started making holsters for every new gun I acquired, and occasionally for someone else, but that was pretty rare.

It was a Beretta Cheetah 86. I could shoot and manipulate that gun in my sleep. Oddly enough, even with my sm/med sized hands, every now and then I'd get a stinger on the web of my hand from the grip tang.

I remember on the holster I did give boning a shot. I never did get pics of that I guess. Maybe I'll ask mom or dad to send it over, I'm curious now.

Shorts

That was one heck of a first attempt at holster building. My first holster and several there after were only fit for chew toys for the hound or to help line the bird cage. I've admired your holsters on other forum(s) You've come a long way!

Randy