rufusjames

Oiling Rough Out

I am finishing up another saddle and I am having a hard time oiling to the color I want. I have put on 3 LIGHT coats of pure neetsfoot and allowed it to work over night with each application.the leather is still really light. I want it medium oil color and I am afraid of over oiling. What is the secret to getting a nice tan color to HO rough out? I have to ship the saddle out soon. Damn oiling has given more trouble...

Hello Rufus, If you are wanting to end up with a rich oil tan look to the rough out, try this. On a scrap piece of the same leather you used for the saddle, use Fiebing's Pro Oil Saddle Tan Dye reduced 20% with Fiebing's Leather Dye Reducer. Apply it with a wide spray nozzle with an airbrush or one of the PREVAIL SPRAYERS. You want to hold the sprayer about six inches from the leather and move quickly in even passes overlapping just a bit. Let it sit overnight and then apply a light coat of neatsfoot oil. After the oil sets in it will give you a nice rich oil finish. This process works great on the hair side as well giving the piece a rich hand rubbed oil finish.

Hope this helps you out some.

Hello Rufus, If you are wanting to end up with a rich oil tan look to the rough out, try this. On a scrap piece of the same leather you used for the saddle, use Fiebing's Pro Oil Saddle Tan Dye reduced 20% with Fiebing's Leather Dye Reducer. Apply it with a wide spray nozzle with an airbrush or one of the PREVAIL SPRAYERS. You want to hold the sprayer about six inches from the leather and move quickly in even passes overlapping just a bit. Let it sit overnight and then apply a light coat of neatsfoot oil. After the oil sets in it will give you a nice rich oil finish. This process works great on the hair side as well giving the piece a rich hand rubbed oil finish.

Hope this helps you out some.

Thank you Mike, I'll try that on the next one. I put the pieces in the sun for a couple hours and got near what I wanted.

I have never used neetsfoot. I use pure Veg oil. Never had any problems getting the color I want.

PcCowboy, can you share your process to achieve the color you want with the veg oil?

First of all I only oil one side of the leather. I use a piece of wool skin to do this. Any veg oil will do, but I like peanut oil for the color. A veg type oil will soak deep into the leather and not leave any residue to get on the customer pants. Rub in oil. The color will be dark, but over a few hours it will soak in, smoothing out the color making it even over the whole surface. Reapply if you want it to be darker. The more applications the darker it gets. The first application will make it a golden color. (of course this depends on the brand of leather)

Do you have any pics of your leather oiled with the peanut oil?

Very nice work!! beautiful.

I have spray dyed my latest rough out saddle, saddle tan . I am getting a lot of dye rubbing off. I have rubbed and rubbed the seat with t shirts and after what seems like forever I am still getting some dye residue on the t-shirt. What else can I do to "set" the dye. My customer will be wearing white pants as required for Polocrosse. I have to deliver it Friday at my tournament. She will be riding it Saturday and Sunday and I dont want her to have a saddle tan arse...

Rufus James, did you find a solution to this? I'm in the same boat.

Rubbed and rubbed... 10 old t-shirts later it still showed a little rub off. I just decided it was acceptable. Guess it was all good as I received another saddle order over the weekend.