ADKMiner

New Guy Here

Hi!

I'm just starting to gather some tools for leatherworking... first project is going to be a new knife sheath. I'm interested in cases and such, as well. I have so many things that I would like to make, and there is a lot of learning to do! I look forward to learning from everyone on here. Lots of great looking things in the gallery!

I'm from upstate NY and work right near Gloversville, NY. Lots of leather history up here.

From wikipedia:

"It earned its name for being the center of the American glove making industry for many years. Upon the establishment of a United States Post Office in 1828, Gloversville became the official name of the community.[citation needed] In 1890–1950, 90 percent of all gloves sold in the United States were made in Gloversville.[6]

Large tanneries and glove shops employed nearly 80% of the residents of Gloversville and environs. Home workers sewed the gloves from leather that had been cut in factories. Related businesses, such as box makers, sewing machine repairmen, and thread dealers opened to serve the industry."

I'm interested to know if there is anyone else around from the area, and especially with connections to folks still working in the existing leather mills. I work with guys who have friends working in existing mills, but my coworkers don't know anything detailed about leather other than the fact that when they were kids, the local creek - the Cayadutta - used to run different colors depending on what colors the mills were dying that day. I'd love to know if some of the local mills produce veg tanned leather... and I'd love to know if I could buy some locally!

Other than leather, I'm into homebrewing (grow my own hops), welding, camping, mining, motorcycles, etc. I do a little bit of everything.

Take care and see ya around! Maybe I'll find someone local to Gloversville on here!

ADKMiner

Welcome! Sounds like you will fit in here JUUUUUST fine!