jeremyqmartin

Does Leather Have A Directional Grain?

I'm curious on whether leather has a directional grain, like wood does.

Being a noob, I made a small square from a shoulder piece to test on dying, oiling, and sealing. Since it's dried, I notice that it flexes/bends very easily in one direction, but in the other direction it feels very stiff, even hard.

I feel this would obviously affect my choices as to what direction I want to cut the pieces for my briefcase project. Has anyone seen maybe a diagram that suggests how to orient pattern pieces on a particular section of a hide?

Thanks for any help.

There is a bias, most leather stretches in one direction, but not so much in the other. A lot has to do where the leather is taken from the skin. -- Tex

From what Ive read on the subject most recommend staying either horizontal or vertical but not diagonal when cutting larger pieces. I just like to keep in mind the characteristics of the certain places of the hide in regard to what Im making. If I need a good amount of flex in a section I will try to avoid using the shoulder area or if Im making a strap Ill avoid the belly because it will stretch more than a cut from the back would.

Also note which direction the leather bends more easily, or less.