rawhide1

Building Up A Shuttle Point

Does anyone know if its possible to build up the point of a shuttle. I just got a extra #6 shuttle but the ends kinda blunt. It still picks up the thread and all. But I'd like to know if anyone has ever had one brazed/welded and then reshaped to the sharp point. I'm thinking 1/16 to maybe 1/8 in length. I only paid .99cent for it on fleabay. And seeing how their over $400 new I'd like to fix this one up if possible.

Thanks, Mike

I used to braze new bronze points onto the hooks for my first Union Lockstitch machine, then file them into custom shapes. I finished them with a couple grades of Emory cloth, then buffed on a buffing wheel with brown or green compound (I forget which).

Wiz

Thanks!! I reckon I'll go find someone who can braze!!

Thanks Again, Mike

If I were going to redo the point I would tig weld it with tool steel rod then reshape and polish to mirror finish.

pcox

Thanks! Will that make for a stronger point.

Mike

It will be like the original point. Put the schuttle in the machine take the cover off turn the machine thru and see how much clearance you have from the point to the needle on the back stroke. That will tell you how much you need to put on it compare it to your good one.

Pcox

Thanks we'll do.

Mike