ahrens

What Size Pricking Wheel?

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum. I'm hooked on leather and I'm looking to purchase my first set of tools.

I'd like to make small items at such as wallets, purses, iPhone cases, etc. I am looking at pricking wheels as I will be stitching by hand.

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what size pricking wheel I should get? I have been looking at Bruce Johnson's website and he has a variety of sizes. What spacing looks best on smaller items and is there much difference in strength?

Edited by ahrens

A size 6 or 7 would be most universal... most adjustable sets come with a 5,6,7 and sometimes 8.

Spacing depends on the thickness of the item and personal preference, which includes tradition. In English and Australian saddlery for instance 8spi is considered 'normal' whereas it is considered "fine" in Western saddlery. The thickness of thread is also connected; for 8spi I find size 12/3 towards the upper limit of what works best. This is thicker than the usual 18/3 that seems often used by English style stitching but I like it that way.

Are you intending to make "rugged" looking or "fine" products,

Thanks for the replies Rawhide and Matt.

Are you intending to make "rugged" looking or "fine" products,

I'd say I would be making "fine" looking products.