Hello all! I've been wanting to make some sandals since, like most other things, if you want it done right you have to do it yourself. It seems like all guys sandals look terrible and weigh as much as a boot. Sandals are supposed to be light and comfy, not feel like a brick strapped to your foot.

Anyway, after ordering two different ebay special leathers, I'm ready to do it right and get some quality leather this time. To do so I need a little advice. I've attached a picture of the general design I'm going for. I think I'm going to want vegetable tanned so that I can form the heel piece at the back somewhat. I'm not sure what weight I should be looking at so that it's heavy enough to hold it's shape, but no so heavy to be stiff and uncomfortable. Would 6-7oz be appropriate? I'm looking at the Herman Oak from springfield and probably just getting the pre made 3/4" strips to save myself the cutting on those.

My other big question is about insole material. My feet tend to sweat :blink: so I need something that is absorbent, but can be easily cleaned. I noticed most people here tend to just use (veg tanned?) leather. Will that work for my application?

Is there any other material that meets those requirements that you all like to use. I'd like to have a cheaper option for things like flip flops that don't need to be so "fancy".

I appreciate any feedback. I've never made much with leather, but I love working with my hands and the satisfaction of doing things myself. I may try making a holster for my CZ in the future.

post-40329-0-74772400-1372686026_thumb.j

Alright so I talked to the people at Springfield Leather and they said it's really just a matter of preference, and anywhere from 4-5 to 6-7 oz would work. I settled in the middle and picked up 2 sq ft of 5-6oz B grade herman oak and 84" of 3/4 strap.

Now I'm having concerns about whether this will be thick enough for the footbed. I plan on making them in three layers. The outsole either leather or rubber. The midsole from cork sheets. And then the footbed. The cork midsole will make up the main "body" if you will so the footbed doesn't need to provide a whole lot of structural integrity. I'm just wondering whether the 5-6 will hold up over time or whether it will start to wear through.