reuben cogburn

Decorative Stitching On Belt

How do I layout a decorative stitch on a belt?

I don't see any templates at Tandy.

Who sells them?

How does one make one?

I did several searches here but found nothing..

This is what I'm looking to do....

http://www.rossleather.com/m91s-decorative-stitch-suede-lined-ranger-belt-p-100.html

Thanks.....

I have never found a ready made template. It is commonly called the gun fighter stitch or boot stitch some people call it the fish stitch. I make my own template depending on the size belt i am doing. it is fairly easy to do, However if you are not into hand stitching don't do it it is a lot of stitching. Below are some pictures that may hel not a tru tutorial but should give you the idea.

For my template. FOr the belt pictured below I usede a 7" paper plate. On the belt crease a groove along each edge or if yo are going to stitch the edges such as on a double layered belt go ahed and lay out your stitch line along each edge. Now place the paper plate so that the curved edge stops just below the top stitch line as in picture one, now makrk each side of the plate at the belt edge. You can cut this portion off to use as your template and line bottom edge of template with bottom edge of belt. Now use a pencil to lightly draw your arc or scribe an arc, move the plate down the belt if you are moving to right line the mark on the left side of your template until it meets the right hand end of your arc and continue drawing arcsuntil you get to the end of the belt or where you want to stop. Now flip you belt around so the opposite edge is now the bottom edge repeat making arcs from this edge make sure the corners of your arcs are directly inline with the corners of the arcs you already created. Once you have your lines use a stitching wheel to mark your stitch holes if hand stitching or follow the lines you created if machine stitching.

The pictures are a little dark, I took a couple of quick pics of a belt i just finished laying out the gunfighter stitch on.

post-15001-0-93930400-1373241594_thumb.j

post-15001-0-08952300-1373241633_thumb.j

post-15001-0-23314900-1373241671_thumb.j

Very cool!

So simple I would have never would have thought of it!

I'm not sure why I tend to overthink things, when they seem to be the easiest answers...

I'm going to start making a few laminated belts. Usually I just use saddle skirting, and that has always worked good, but I thought I'd do something new and different.

Hand stitching??..... you can do that??.. :)

How do I layout a decorative stitch on a belt?

I don't see any templates at Tandy.

Who sells them?

How does one make one?

I did several searches here but found nothing..

This is what I'm looking to do....

http://www.rossleath...belt-p-100.html

Thanks.....

Reuben, check with Joyce at Blackriverlaser.com she is going to be putting out a set of acrylic templates for laying out the gunfighter stitch for 1 1/2", 2 1/2" and 3 " belts.