Bob

How To Make Pockets On Chaps

Hey folks, just recently got an request to put a pocket onto new pair of chinks. I've never been asked to do that before and don't know the best way to go about it.

Is the pocket best on the inside or outside. I've seen some sew onto the inside of the leg, but don't know how to finish it so it doesn't tear in the cut out. If you have some pictures of how it's best constructed, that would be wonderful and helpful. I'd like to put a flap onto the pocket with snap cover.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance to every.

PS, I'll post some pictures of the results after the job is done.

Bob

Edited by Bob

Here is one idea, got it from an old chink maker.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-16152200-1373928718_thumb.jp

Hello Bob, I put pockets in quite often and normally do it one of two ways. #1, a pocket addonto the top of the leg with a flap or #2, an inside pocket. The inside ones are done by cutting a slot into the leg and the pocket being put through the slot. The pocket is made before hand the back piece of the pocket is cut long enough and has a shape to the top so after it is place through the slot it is sewn to the chap leg. The front piece is folded down after placing through the slot and sewn to the leg. When you cut out your pocket pieces determine how deep you want them and add enough at the top above the point where you stop sewing the pocket together to go through the slot and sew to the leg. It works really well and is fairly easy to do. I'm trying to figure out how to include a picture for you. I'm new on here and this computer stuff gets me sometimes.

Here's a photo of a inside chap pocket Bob that I often do. Hope this helps.

Cody

post-43213-0-85929800-1373977658_thumb.j

Thank you Dwight and Cody. I like to looks of the inside pocket. Nice finish to it.