walter roth

Tools Of A Swiss Sattler

Tor, I finally got several Dixons at one time and cleared the waiting list for them. I have a top lever adjust on my website and also one that adjusts with the long screw mechanism. Those are pretty rare and a delight to use. Wait until you guys see what I just cleaned up - yes, from England. I need to do a little more on the knife and will have pictures tomorrow.

Here are a couple I need some help with makers, and the plough gauge mentioned previously. The knife is one I have had for a while and is on my bench in use. I need help with the maker - I haven't seen a Mayer-Flamery with the hammer mark before. Is it one of theirs? The plough has only the tassel or bell marking on it. It is a nice smooth working one, just not sure who might have made it. Finally the plough gauge mentioned above. I still have some work to do on it, but here it is just about there. The shoe and guide block is gun metal. The fence and beam are steel. The top adjust and the binding nut for the roller are ornate brass. This is the prettiest English made one I have seen yet. It is marked "1897 A Butler London Warranted" on the shoe and the knife is marked "A Butler". Interestingly the knife is marked on the right side of the blade. I can't recall any others I have seen marked anywhere but the left side.

post-29-0-27604900-1375887720_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-37373900-1375887746_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-00886800-1375887748_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-41423000-1375887749_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-83000900-1375887751_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-13136800-1375887753_thumb.jpg

Hi Bruce

The Tassel is a German brand Tool.

I do not know the name, but these tools were sold by various dealers Swiss.

They have always described it in the Catalogs as a German brand, which was offered as an alternative to the expensive Tools Blanchard.

Just as with the horse (or Rössler Melzer and Feller) and 3-4 other brands from Germany.

Unfortunately, I no longer have this Catalog, he was of the firm "Lüscher and Stengelin Cuirs" in Bern.

And the Company Buttler and Sons, I have tools. The company was established in the "Wallsall" the leather center from England.

The company had 30 years yet, but tools they acted back then no more. They had their office a few hundred meters away from Dixon.

And ganu so I must go have a Plough, which I really like.

greeting

Walter

Gate .....

I'm looking at a photo of a "Nähkloben" as it is called in Swiss German long which.

The wood part or the sewing pincer. you used to sew the thing really ....?

I've thrown away all those things, they are useless.

What you sewing your work ....?

I use the Swiss bdazu "Nährössli" ​​so the sewing horse.

Thus, the part looks http://www.bernhardw.../eb690a48df.jpg ...... where I have all my harnesses sewn.

greeting

The new Dixon are my poorly made, the Barnsley I like, but only the very old.

I had a very nice from England who was here once, should have bought it.

Everything from Gunnmetal ....

Well, someday I'll find one.

For practical purposes, I think better get updated very often Plough as that of Blanchard and Related Models.

They are also better than the models from England.

Always provided that the knives are properly sharpened,

that is, on the right side plane, and the inner side obliquely outwards

Greetings

Walter

Hello Walter,

I use sewing machines of course, currently I have nine machine but only uses four of them. Some are for sale and for backup. I use a Juki 441 clone with Efka 1550 DC position motor for the heavy stuff. It capable to sew up to 22 mm. of material (I have never tried, I do not sew that thick material). I am not finished setting up this machine yet (I am using it), i am building on a air foot lift and a needle cooler system. ( I have the parts, I only need some time. I do not have much of it).

For medium and fine materials I use a Dürkopp Adler 267-373 flat bed with Efka DC 1600 and a Pfaff 345 H3 cylinder bed with Cobra servo and a speed reducer. I also use a long arm Singer 29K-72 for repair work and difficult seams, it has a clutch motor but I always hand crank it.

Machines for backup and sale:

Kochs Adler class 5-27 cyl. bed, bottom feed, jump foot, clutch with speed reducer and electronic speed limiter. In mint condition and full saddler's attachments pack.

Adler 105-25 top and bottom feed cyl. bed with new 4 pole 600 W clutch and speed reducer and new table.

Adler 204-64 bottom and needle feed with Efka variostop three phase motor.

Singer 236W-100 top and bottom roller feed post bed clutch motor.

Adler cl. 30-15 short arm small bobbin, black color shoe repair machine on treadle.

And for sale for a friend complete shoe maker repair shop Hardo, Membus finisher bench etc. all machines. Two sewing machines: Pfaff top, bottom roller and needle feed with Efka variostop and a very good Adler long arm class 30, gray green color with 12 volts dc motor and treadle (perfect condition)

All machines are ready to sew and set up for leather work, except the 105 who is not ready yet. I like do work with sewing machine and have mechanical education and back ground. Its kind of a hobby to me to refurbish machines, you mostly find me in the sewing machine forum.

Here is some of the machines, I then have a skiving machine and a clicker. The rest are bench machines.

Thanks

Tor

post-10237-0-76309600-1375904958_thumb.j

post-10237-0-95659500-1375905037_thumb.j

post-10237-0-50530400-1375905334_thumb.j

post-10237-0-13789900-1375905375_thumb.j

post-10237-0-10894600-1375905723_thumb.j

post-10237-0-05790700-1375905748_thumb.j

post-10237-0-49388500-1375905773_thumb.j

Here are a couple I need some help with makers, and the plough gauge mentioned previously. The knife is one I have had for a while and is on my bench in use. I need help with the maker - I haven't seen a Mayer-Flamery with the hammer mark before. Is it one of theirs? The plough has only the tassel or bell marking on it. It is a nice smooth working one, just not sure who might have made it. Finally the plough gauge mentioned above. I still have some work to do on it, but here it is just about there. The shoe and guide block is gun metal. The fence and beam are steel. The top adjust and the binding nut for the roller are ornate brass. This is the prettiest English made one I have seen yet. It is marked "1897 A Butler London Warranted" on the shoe and the knife is marked "A Butler". Interestingly the knife is marked on the right side of the blade. I can't recall any others I have seen marked anywhere but the left side.

Hi Bruce, Thats very nice stuff

Hi Bruce, very beautiful plough, I have never seen any ploughs from Butler before. However, I too know the maker, he is listed in the Dictionary of leather tools too.

The cornet knife must be a German Melzer and Feller, "Rossler" as Walter call him. As Walter already mention above.

You can see this is a German Solingen style knife by the shape of the big blade, ferule and handle. Walter knows the tassel to be German, now I remember where I have seen it before.

http://leatherworker...pic=45729&st=15

Remember this thread? look at post # 27 you see both a plough with the tassel and the horse shoe brand.

We never got an answer from him about the makers of these, Walter you know them. They are both German then.

Bruce I have to thank you once again for sending me the two eight " splitter blades for free, you are the best. Thank you very much, I have to shop some akevitt to you.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

I am exited to see that tassel plough too, I hope you will post it here.

Have a nice day

Tor

post-10237-0-06559900-1375908625_thumb.j

post-10237-0-60739500-1375908629_thumb.j

Edited by Trox

HalloTor ...

So you have more machines as I ......

I myself have only one sewing machine, one AQdkler class 5-8 is about 60 years old.

I sew everything by hand. Only the sky în the coach-concealing I sew with the machine and of course the leather tops himself.

But your Yuki is safe ne good machine that Yuki's here now have a good reputation.

What is the cost to the Yuki 3-way transportation, because I might have a buyer for you.

greeting

Walter

Edited by walter roth

Hi Bruce................

Which manufacturer of the star in the hoof is, I do not know, I saw the sign only 2 times to the present.

The other sign is here REJECT s saddlers partly as puff or simply referred to as shell.

It has been a German manufacturer, but I do not know the name.

These are the tools that were described in old catalogs as a German-made, just the alternative to the expensive tools Blanchard.

I still have those catalogs here, but unfortunately these are no brands visible.

The dealer kept the secret, they were afraid for their business ..... ((-:

I go in about 2 months to twenty Wolfgang, who is in second or 3rd-generation tool maker, I will consult him on the subject.

And if he can provide information about its competitors at the time, then I will Report here.

Greetings

Walter

Edited by walter roth

HalloTor ...

So you have more machines as I ......

I myself have only one sewing machine, one Adler class 5-8 is about 60 years old.

I sew everything by hand. Only the sky în the coach-concealing I sew with the machine and of course the leather tops himself.

But your Yuki is safe ne good machine that Yuki's here now have a good reputation.

What is the cost to the Yuki 3-way transportation, because I might have a buyer for you.

greeting

Walter

Hello Walter, the first four machines are not for sale, I use them my self. But a new juki TSC 441 head only is about 4500 Euro and a copy is about half compleete. You sew everything by hand? thats allot of work. your 5- 8 is the same as my 5-27, I used that before I got the Juki clone. Look at clone machines from Cobra and Cowboy or Sieck. These are copies of the Juki and set up to sew leather (not from Sieck, you must set up that yourself) These copies have a higher footlift and sews great. They are also built strong. The first three machines and the last machine are my users, and not for sale.

Tor

Hi Tor..............

Oh, did not know ...... it is now already copies of the Yuki's where the Yikis're already copies ..... ((-:

I asked as soon as I saw the side of Sieck, wass are these machines are to be had for 2500 euros today, when the Maschine from Eagles still have cost 9000 € 10 years ago ...?

Well hand sewing .................

High quality will unfortunately make almost exclusively by hand.

The machines are so good, but I am better ....... ((((((((((-:

Well, if you're used to, which is well out of hand.

Greetings

Walter

Hi Tor..............

Oh, did not know ...... it is now already copies of the Yuki's where the Yikis're already copies ..... ((-:

I asked as soon as I saw the side of Sieck, wass are these machines are to be had for 2500 euros today, when the Maschine from Eagles still have cost 9000 € 10 years ago ...?

Well hand sewing .................

High quality will unfortunately make almost exclusively by hand.

The machines are so good, but I am better ....... ((((((((((-:

Well, if you're used to, which is well out of hand.

Greetings

Walter

Hi Walter, sorry for late replay. There has been Chinese copies from Juki 441 for many years now, and they starting to good. Today all German machines are also produced in China, and you will get the quality you pay for there. The todays 441 copy is the second generation "clone" machines. We call them clones when all parts are interchangeable . The 441 clone who are sold by our member dealers are improved versions with a higher foot lift, bigger hand wheels (on some) and set up to sew leather. With smooth feet's and feed dog to sew wegtan leather without making ugly marks on it. These machines are good value for the money, the member dealer are here to provide support and stand behind their products, who are made to their specifications. For factory use 24-7 you would choose a original Juki, for a saddler shop these machines will last until they become unmodern. You can also buy all kinds of saddler's attachments, like feet`s and special needle plates for doing all kind of operations. Member has used these machines for many years no and they get very good feed back.

Tor

The Sieck machines are the same as the Cowboy brand (see banner top site). The Adler 205-370 copy is a bit more expensive that the Juki copy.

Hello Tor ............

I have been looking for years not to such machines, and I did not realize how cheap is to have something like that today.

So it would be superior to whether I should replace my old eagle 5/8.

The straight Sieck offer this Chinese amazes me, but it is also very pleasant for the price.

Mus times I really worry about it.

The old yes, the Eagles have already annoyed about a problem ....., generations of upholsterers ............

I mean ...... that you can omit the stitches never 100% correct in de machine.

The triple feed are there better.

greeting

Walter

Edited by walter roth

Late to the topic, but truly beautiful tools. Amazing how most of the world has lost the art of tool making. Also very interesting is the many similarities between American and European leather tools. Not a great surprise since the one descended from the other. Some of the differences are also fascinating. The Spanish in the "New World" went in directions quite different than northern Europe.

Walter, you have my admiration and appreciation for communicating so well in a language that clearly wasn't your mother tongue. I had a couple of years of German in university, but I'd not be able to do anywhere near as well as you have.

Robert

Yes thank you.

I will hire more photos in de next few days, over the weekend I have time.

Topic splitter.

And of course some tools to do so.

Tools from Spain I übrigns almost never seen ......

But the American Osborne Gomp etc. that seem very different from those descended England.

I mss but say that are of Gomph etc. really very fine and of good quality. And I'm going to set a job here that I have also done as a saddler. But it has nothing to do with leather ..... ((((-:

It is a weapon, more precisely, a Submmachinegun - Villar-Perosa a Model of Italy from 1911 - 1915, with 2 barrels and 1,500 rounds per minute ........ per barrel.

Well I know here "of topic", but I've read in the profiles that there are some who are quite happy to have Guns ....... (((-:

When there is a genuine Swiss au naürlich so ...... they like something.

So, to liven it may be a slightly different photo sher sometimes.

greeting

Walter

Edited by walter roth

Yes thank you.

I will hire more photos in de next few days, over the weekend I have time.

Topic splitter.

And of course some tools to do so.

Tools from Spain I übrigns almost never seen ......

But the American Osborne Gomp etc. that seem very different from those descended England.

I mss but say that are of Gomph etc. really very fine and of good quality. And I'm going to set a job here that I have also done as a saddler. But it has nothing to do with leather ..... ((((-:

It is a weapon, more precisely, a Submmachinegun - Villar-Perosa a Model of Italy from 1911 - 1915, with 2 barrels and 1,500 rounds per minute ........ per barrel.

Well I know here "of topic", but I've read in the profiles that there are some who are quite happy to have Guns ....... (((-:

When there is a genuine Swiss au naürlich so ...... they like something.

So, to liven it may be a slightly different photo sher sometimes.

greeting

Walter

Hi Walter,

you know you got my attention when it comes to splitters and especially Spanish tools. I have been looking after Spanish tools for a long time and I am not alone. Several US members of Spanish heritage is interested too. So please bring it on.

About splitters; I received two 8" mod # 86 splitter blades from Bruce, he knows I have been looking everywhere for one since the Norwegian company TROMAS AS ruined mine. Bruce gave me those two blades for free, thank you very much Bruce. :You_Rock_Emoticon: They are of cause old blades, with a little sharpening/polish they will be very good.

Walter,

we look forward to see some Spanish tools. The Spanjols had to have some good tools to, they have great knifes and sword traditions. How come we never see any of these tools.

Thanks

Tor

Tor...............

Oh, I probably worded bad in English ....

Spanish tools I can not show, I do not and I can not even take pictures.

But I've worked in the teaching profession for saddlery with a Spanish Sattler together ..... Ramon commanded the.

I have contacts in Spain, but I would have time to go to Spain on holiday.

as I should have been years, but there have always moved.

Well one else has a lot to do ......)) -:

I've seen things Spanish, but also the Blanchard used, along with some typical spain tools.

Unfortunately, I never took photos and it's been a long time.

But the Spanish are the tools look like us here 200 years ago.

Stopped somewhere in time.

But I will now go into the workshop and photograph my Splitter.

So for the first ....3-4 ...... ((-:

Greetings Walter

Tor...............

Oh, I probably worded bad in English ....

Spanish tools I can not show, I do not and I can not even take pictures.

But I've worked in the teaching profession for saddlery with a Spanish Sattler together ..... Ramon commanded the.

I have contacts in Spain, but I would have time to go to Spain on holiday.

as I should have been years, but there have always moved.

Well one else has a lot to do ......)) -:

I've seen things Spanish, but also the Blanchard used, along with some typical spain tools.

Unfortunately, I never took photos and it's been a long time.

But the Spanish are the tools look like us here 200 years ago.

Stopped somewhere in time.

But I will now go into the workshop and photograph my Splitter.

So for the first ....3-4 ...... ((-:

Greetings Walter

Thank you Walter, to bad the Spanish tools are nowhere to be found on the Internet. Even Spanish talking member have a hard time locating any. So they stopped in time 200 years ago, thats interesting. If anybody have any info about Spanish leather tools please let us know.

You can go to Spain in the weekend when you live in Switzerland, like I did when I lived in Antwerp (Belgium) 20 years ago.

I look forward to see the splitter.

have a nice weekend.

PS.

Do you use a online German-English translator like Google translate. Here is a smart little English spell check I am using, you can use it anywhere by right clicking (with your right mouse button) and on every text. http://www.iespell.com/ You have to install it on your computer of course. It does not translate, only do spell checks

Thanks

Tor

Hello leather craftsman

Here, for the beginning of time as the leather splitter s model of Oborne looks, but at the but some details are different

The 2-nd roll up (brass) and the crank down.

This is the model that was common in Europe, and is now hard to find.

So much fun, then more tomorrow.

Walter

post-43725-0-34692700-1376771540_thumb.j

post-43725-0-21024300-1376771551_thumb.j

post-43725-0-14295100-1376771562_thumb.j

post-43725-0-19492700-1376771574_thumb.j

Hi Bruce ...

Here are the Pictures from the special Plough.

When the going very well when the Knive is absolutely sharp.

And the belt is always perfectly straight, and the same width.

I have a lot of joy this tool.

Thank you very much.

Walter

post-43725-0-94667800-1376771945_thumb.j

post-43725-0-40962200-1376771957_thumb.j

post-43725-0-28188900-1376771971_thumb.j

post-43725-0-31015200-1376771985_thumb.j

Walter, You are very welcome! I am glad you are enjoying it and putting it to use. It looks great and you did a wonderful job cleaning it up. - Bruce

Hi Bruce.

Thank you for the compliment.

Hello Leather Craftsmen

Here is a very small rest to fine machine with a hand crank.

The manufacturer is unknown to me, but it is a pretty part.

This not only drives the lower roll the leather, but also the smooth upper roller is driven.

The device (left of the machine) to adjust ease of thick leather I have made myself, which is not original.

I have only seen in 30 years as a part, no photo, no catalog Noting, ...........

In Germany there are still some engineering works he has previously made ​​such things, but these companies do not own meh they once produced there.

I hope they geällt you ..... ((-:

greeting

Walter

Hi Bruce.

And we do you like the machine at the end of the series of pictures here ..... (((((((-:

greeting

Walter

post-43725-0-37759200-1376811475_thumb.j

post-43725-0-11532800-1376811488_thumb.j

post-43725-0-60076700-1376811500_thumb.j

post-43725-0-60107700-1376811516_thumb.j

post-43725-0-16815100-1376811529_thumb.j

post-43725-0-36382600-1376811539_thumb.j

post-43725-0-96983300-1376811560_thumb.j

post-43725-0-88099700-1376811575_thumb.j

post-43725-0-69946300-1376811589_thumb.j

post-43725-0-79098600-1376811716_thumb.j

post-43725-0-19704000-1376811798_thumb.j

Edited by walter roth

Hello leather craftsmen

Here is a Machine is often referred to as one of Blanchard.

She is not, she comes from a German manufacturer, whose address I do not know.

30 years ago I said a include representatives of the Blanchard, that they left the earlier making in Germany.

These machines were sold in Switzerland in the years from about 1918 to 1942 and cost about 1924, 280 Swiss francs.

Well, my dad got in 1933 only 80 francs a month salary.

So, the machines cost a lot ...................

This model is the very rare large model, it has a Mechanism with which you can also cleave angle.

How to write this in english .......?? Wedge-shaped split off ....?

The mechanism is not practical, the machine ..... but the best thing there is.

I use everyday in the smaller model without the mechanism.

greeting

Walter

post-43725-0-65094100-1376830798_thumb.j

post-43725-0-28687900-1376830820_thumb.j

post-43725-0-65162600-1376830835_thumb.j

post-43725-0-39086200-1376830858_thumb.j

post-43725-0-07124700-1376830873_thumb.j

post-43725-0-47353800-1376830888_thumb.j

post-43725-0-85716800-1376830906_thumb.j

post-43725-0-94487700-1376830921_thumb.j

post-43725-0-70447800-1376830938_thumb.j

post-43725-0-53575500-1376830953_thumb.j

post-43725-0-11850000-1376830972_thumb.j

Hallo Walter, herzlich Willkommen.

I've been enjoying the summer vacation, and I haven't been checking Leatherworker at all. And what a nice thread, I've missed. The wealth of information you're sharing is just outstanding. Thank you very much.

I'm very happy to see a member from Switzerland, who knows so much about the history of the saddlery trade, mostly because I'm very fascinated with the military products that were made for the Swiss army. I can't believe the quality of those products and all the work that went into them. I mean, everything was handsewn and the leather quality was very, very good.

Can you tell me more about the army saddlers and the tools they used? I'm not after any specific information at the moment, so if you could share some general knowledge, then I would really appreciate it.

- if it's easier writing it in German, you can do that and send it to me in an e-mail, and I'll do my best to translate it to English. I understand and talk German quite well, but I rarely write German anymore, so it takes too long constructing the sentences.

And lastly do you have any good tanneries in Switzerland?

Yes, the military saddlery processes the "stuff-leather".

Stuff to say here on German yes, it was normalized for the army.

So it was called "eingebrannts leather" which was prepared according to a standard that is over 100 years old.

That is, it was tanned in the pit, then warmed up in a room at 50-60 ° Celsius, and dipped in Paraffin or Lard-Steain or a mixture thereof.

This was called "Burn" and it meant that the leather was completely greased through the whole thickness. Disability also process the skin in the stearic took it only seconds.

Well, the Swiss Army has unfortunately not many leather items. Also with us draws the modern.

The army of 800 000 in 1990 to `200` 000 was reduced today.

Ah, in Switzerland, there are many on the left who want to lead the country into the EU the most, here is the almost bankrupt.

Tanneries still exist, but the set of leathers the leather craftsmen in the United States less.

If you want to know more, write me a message, I will reply in German.

But good tanneries are .......... the following.

Gerberei Kobel Germany

http://www.kobelleder.de/ = Saddlery Leather

Swiss "Zeug-Leder"

http://www.emmeleder...emart&Itemid=16

Schatz Vinzenz from Pinter, Austria.

Harness leather or like 100 years.

http://www.schatzleder.at/

Leather Dealers

http://www.hoeltschi-leder.ch/

Greeting

Walter

Edited by walter roth