Tools Of A Swiss Sattler

Walter

Hi Walter,

You want to sell this?

Whats your price?

Tor

The sale here ....... (((-:

Unfortunately not ....)) -:

But it may be, I still know where ..... 2-3 has.

If I get it, I'll give it you.

Ray would also still like one.

But the old man is very far away, it takes time until I can go over there.

greeting

Walter

if you get any more for sale, I'd certainly be interested also !

Can never have enough tools :thumbsup:

Hi there.

Here are some less ineresantes, but also be dasmuss times .... ((-:

It's about the topic pliers.

Here is a selection of pliers klene I have often needed.

sprengerae at Tern polls of coaches they are beneficial, but also including saddle-making in de English Söteln yes you have to put on the seat, and this is used mostly de pliers with a cam in it.

The Blanchard are good and I hbe used it very much.

But Aich The round-nose pliers to ds at Rngen leather strap and beautiful to pull together when sewing, or the big flat pliers to push to sew esch run.

The clamp is a very big wide belts-spun pliers.

The used of upholsterers often, but also the coach saddlery.

Untr the seat cushion and seat belts were always put into the frame.

Could tighten belts with pliers or with the straps trees of wood. The Sample is a very complex and old model.

greeting

Walter

Very nice Walter, (you won the fotball match by the way, Norway play way to bad to participate in the world championship. But Soccer might not interest you much? Its also way out of topic) Back to your nice tools again. There is that maker name again, on the plier in pic # 6319, your post # 124. The same maker stamp as on the knife Macca sent me, who makes those tools Walter. Its German is it not ?

Nice ebony handle on than tool from Stoltz à Paris. I know it means pride in German and in Norwegian it means the same "Stolt". Norwegian is a German language too. But seriously in French its only a name, a German name too I guess. :dunno::rofl:

I have been looking for French tool makers listings on the web. I found this site with maker stamps from Thiers, http://www.couteaux-jfl.com/marques.htm

where they made knifes. I do not know if they made any leather tools there, changes are they did some. The center of French leather tools has to be Paris, no doubt about it. I wish I could speak better French (its very bad, it comes from experience driving a truck "LKW" down there for some years) :deadsubject:;)

Thanks

Tor

Hi Tor....................

As for what sort I am weak, only what I myself made that I know well.

I was paragliding, cave-diving have made........often in central franckrich in Emmrgence de Ressel, Fontdel Truffe, Trou Madama etc. ......

Then I dived trimix to 105 meters deep and of course I went riding and had also driven coaches. ...... (((-:

and otherwise still a few other things.

The side with the knives is good, I mus times investigate further.

The Markzeihen mt "L in the Oval" is a tool maker from Germany.

Was in Suhl and has produced from about 1910 to 2005 in several generations, he died a few years ago.

When is something I'm not sure .... I think whose name was "Langenhahn".

He really put forth a good Tools, ...............better as blanchard.

A colleague of mine has bought with him his last "Plough Gouges."

Greeting

Walter

Edited by walter roth

You Are a very sportive man then, I did some bicycling years ago - Marathon races like Trondheim-Oslo race (530 km). Buts thats years ago, now I only walk my dogs; long trip`s every day. I think thats is more healthy than pressing your body to it maximum all the time like all people like to do now. You use up your body reserves this way, you better just keep it in shape by being normal active. Para gliding and cave diving seems like allot of fun. We use to go to the river Spa in Malmedy for canoing when I lived in Belgium, thats was also fun. Then we went to the French Rivera in the weekends to play on the beach, we lived in the center of Europe (Antwerp). A couple of hours to Paris, five hours to London, one hour and twenty minute to Amsterdam. Try doing a couple of hours in my country, you will not get far. The distance from Oslo to Norkapp (the most Northern point of Norway) is about the same as Oslo - Milan (Italy).

Every time you are telling me that a German tool maker is dead, it making me want to cry. Why want anybody of the German young people want to keep on their great traditions. Everybody just want to use computers today, nobody want to be craft mens any more..lazy bastards... :dunno::rofl:

OK have a good night.

Later

Thank you

Tor

Tor, I understand about the sentiment of nobody carrying the tradition of tool making. One of my Australian customers wrote me this - In 100 years somebody will find a 2012 plough gauge and wonder why they used a square fence plough gauge with a plastic roller.

Hi Tor Hi Bruce

So the with sports I hear rather than.

I'm quite robust, nothing there with athletic.

Only I did keep quite.

I was also in the force of our Defense Minister "Ueli Maurer". that means in his company, the Cyclists Company II/6. ( Rdf-K II/6 ) The very best Force.

However for me myself amazing army me there... sent..............??? :head_hurts_kr:

Well, that's one of the big problems.

Also with absence of some good craftsmen today. It relies on many companies which the material supply you need to work.

There is some missing me, ...wenn which continues, the craft becomes extinct because the material is no longer.

Yes, unfortunately I was not there at the time when he visited the old toolmaker, because you would have to keep necessarily the pattern and the pictures of the workshop.

Now I know only nocvh one in Germany, and I'll visit sometime soon.

We hope that there is still something interesting to report.

His wife told me once on the phone, that manufacture of saddlery tools was oh-so gone back.

Afor have overslept the time also, they should have done a nice page of interest.

These artisans supplied 100 years only the dealer of the tool, but never directly to the rich.

No one knows the manufacturer and this is a very big mistake today.

A tool brand is not enough, on each tool is also a name, but this was not common in Europe.

So wait another month, I'll photograph the workshop there and report.

Gruss

Walter

Edited by walter roth

Hello leather craftsman .....

So, here is what the topic ....... punch.

Some of Langenhan, of Blanchard, Rössler and an oval of the company "Cimco", a still-known manufacturers, such beautiful ..... just perfect punch he does not.

Then some pinking punches, pricking irons, etc.

And 2 sets of punch with interchangeable Pipes.

both are excellent in handling and punched leather parts wonderfully easy to fall out.

greeting

Walter

post-43725-0-77035400-1378924061_thumb.j

post-43725-0-77649400-1378924078_thumb.j

post-43725-0-63601500-1378924090_thumb.j

post-43725-0-20667500-1378924104_thumb.j

post-43725-0-97965000-1378924122_thumb.j

post-43725-0-66754300-1378924144_thumb.j

post-43725-0-33798800-1378924161_thumb.j

post-43725-0-96823200-1378924177_thumb.j

post-43725-0-13417600-1378924191_thumb.j

post-43725-0-35445100-1378924213_thumb.j

post-43725-0-65410900-1378924230_thumb.j

post-43725-0-48969800-1378924244_thumb.j

post-43725-0-65665900-1378924261_thumb.j

post-43725-0-48616600-1378924285_thumb.j

post-43725-0-09651900-1378924313_thumb.j

post-43725-0-38531000-1378924336_thumb.j

post-43725-0-28527300-1378924350_thumb.j

post-43725-0-10618800-1378924362_thumb.j

Hello leather craftsman .....

Now times weider a variety Zuden eternal tools.

This is getting boring .... else ((-:

Here as I have a riding crop, and when I purchase the ivory itself produced.

Next to it is still a rough-cut piece that is still waiting to use.

Fine Elfnbein gerbeitet with beautiful grain and throughout classical form.

I've only shot it, ..... then finely sanded by hand with sandpaper and polished with a simple circuit grinding white paste on a whole new "sewn cloth buffing wheel."

The whip to the horse's head was actually the Sunday whip my grandfather. Quite "high nose" for farmers.

I should clean it once again ....)) -:

Aso he came into the possession of the whip when he had to help a rich man in the city with a Kredit..

The man has never picked up his whip.

That was about 1920.

greeting

Walter

post-43725-0-55728400-1378925768_thumb.j

post-43725-0-21918600-1378925786_thumb.j

post-43725-0-98920900-1378925799_thumb.j

post-43725-0-46953300-1378925823_thumb.j

post-43725-0-98016400-1378925921_thumb.j

Great stuff Walter !

You take such good care of these gems

I assume you do not receive all the tools in such good condition, care to share a little on how you have refurbished these ?

I have some boxes coming from France with some very nice tools (some I have never seen before) that I will need to give some attention to, I want to do them justice

Hello Macca

Well, then go ahead...

You know, I'm always curious about everything. :clapping:

A few pictures and put it up, and if it has something special, then we make an Exchange - trade...((-:

Anxiously waiting... :oops:

Greeting

Walter

Tor, I understand about the sentiment of nobody carrying the tradition of tool making. One of my Australian customers wrote me this - In 100 years somebody will find a 2012 plough gauge and wonder why they used a square fence plough gauge with a plastic roller.

Hello Bruce,

Yes it is a tragedy. I wonder when I saw it the first time and I wonder now, why anybody want to give away such work. There is no honor or respect in doing so.

By the way Bruce, did you get my email?

Back to German tools.

Walter,

Thats a nice collection of punches, one narrow and one wide out of every oblong punch. They look real good. Do you use your pinking punches much, what are you using them for?

Now I understand why I never found any German tool maker on the Internet. I been searching for countless hours to find German leather tool. I did not want to stop because I knew Germany had as rich tradition as France and England when it comes to saddlery. They made everything else so why not leather tools, the reason was that they kept the makers secret. Thats a sin, and its all about discipline. It would not happen anywhere else that the craft mens are so loyal to their contractors, in any other country they would sell to the highest bidder and behind their back.

When you visit that last tool maker take your video camcorder/camera with you and put it all on tape/film. Talk to him about his patterns, he have to give them to somebody who will use them in the future. Or take care of them so they do not get lost like the rest. And if he are planning to make more after your new punches (not that I think you need any more of them), please let me know. You told me he is an old man too, I hope he lives for many years to come. I drink to his health (Coca Cola I am driving).

Thanks for showing us your wonderful tools, I learn something new every time and enjoy it very much.

Keep it up

Tor

Hello friends, I missed this one http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OUTIL-ANCIEN-MACHINE-a-PARER-de-BOURRELIER-CORDONNIER-CUIR-LEATHER-SHAVE-/290975709509?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:CA:1123#ht_421wt_1162 somebody got them self a very nice Mayer Flamery Parer. It had to be a quick sale,

Is it not the same as one of yours Walter?

Hello friends, I missed this one http://www.ebay.ca/i...3#ht_421wt_1162 somebody got them self a very nice Mayer Flamery Parer. It had to be a quick sale,

Is it not the same as one of yours Walter?

Guess who..

:spoton:

Can't edit..

yes it's the same as Walters

I have a very high reference point to try and reach when I refurbish this !

Oh, and I thought, I remain the only one who has such a thing for all time... :bawling:

Naja................. :oops:

It is exactly by Mayer and Flammery.

Greeting

Walter

Hello Macca

Well, then go ahead...

You know, I'm always curious about everything. :clapping:

A few pictures and put it up, and if it has something special, then we make an Exchange - trade...((-:

Anxiously waiting... :oops:

Greeting

Walter

Will be a week or so before I can put up any pictures, out of the country on business

I doubt there is anything you won't have seen before though, lots of blanchard, Mayer Flamery knives, plough gauges etc

maybe the eyelet setter I have found would be new to you (although not a saddler tool, more for a cobbler)

I feel a bit embarrassed posting in this thread because you guys have the most amazing tool collections, but I've almost only started my crafting, so my tool collection is less impressive, but I'm continuously upgrading, so at some point I'll hopefully have a tool collection that can somewhat match the ones you have. At least I hope so.

But Walter, I purchased this German plough gauge quite cheaply from an old gentleman who bought it some years ago on a flea market from the remaining family members of a deceased saddler.

Now I'm fairly certain that I saw the name of the maker somewhere else in this thread (Mezler & Feller?), but what I would really like to know is what the "Import" and "Import 14" means?

Here are some pictures and please know, that I took the pictures after opening the parcel, so I haven't had the chance to clean it and restore it.

egUhemL.jpg?2

zihngyo.jpg?1

Pn5irI9.jpg?1

ccnSqBq.jpg?2

Edited by simontuntelder

Don't be embarressed, I am also very new.

The stuff that Walter, Tor, Bruce etc put up are a great education and inspiration.

I really struggle to find German tools, French & UK are relatively easy but German, very difficult

Even with my geographic advantage I struggle to find old German tools !

Btw, I dont see any pictures ?

Can see it now

Nice find !

I wonder how many companies produced (I don't want to use the word copied ! ) this pattern

Who was the original, Blanchard or Mayer Flamery ?

Where are you located, Macca?

I sometimes come across the German tools, but I was under the impression that the English and French tools were the best, so I haven't been buying many German tools - besides some wad punches and such. But reading this thread has made me change my perception af big.

I recently bought the estate of an old shoemaker, and he had some tools from the Swedish maker E A Berg from Eskilstuna, who is mostly famous for woodworking and woodcarving tools, and those tools - especially the knives are also looking very, very good. But I suspect that they're mostly for the shoemaking trade.

I spend most of my time between Holland and Germany for work, with lots of other places in Europe and further in between

Still have a place just outside Dresden, I was based there for the last 5 years.

Should be fully moved out within a couple of months, so trying to take advantage of it by picking up some German stuff before the final removal van leaves ! , but it's not easy to find anything.

Hi Simon...

But never mind, every picture is welcome.

Something very insignificant can be very interesting.................. :thumbsup:

I started even with little, with a handful of tools when I stood for the first time in the Saddlers's workshop of my teacher.

And everything was rusty and needed, and neither was good.

Well, today it has E-Bay, previously was at the flea market.

Only one is become worse, the saddlery where you can watch the craft to learn, who are almost all died.

The Ploug gouge is a "Rössler" or correctly just "Felzer and Meller" in Thuringia, Germany.

What means "Import 14", which is not known to me, also never saw it...???

Who made exactly such patterns exactly so for the first time, I don't know.

But I have at Saddlers 30 years ago ploughs views, which were quite similar to this pattern, but at the age of 150-180.

Unfortunately I could not buy, it looked already as the but not with screw by Blanchard that blade was attached to the device, but had a thickening which has been inserted into a Groove down at the edge without any screws.

The plough was also much more decorated in the small details, since a margin, there a knurling or hatch.

Blanchard did not invent it well, but it was a mutual copy good ideas.

Greeting

Walter

Hello together.

Just a little time, but do have something quickly to the watch.

Here are some knives as she used the sattler.

You all know the skiving knife, ...die.

The blades with curved forms was used to separate the straw, and the hook-shaped blades were to the cut off of the straw in the filled collars.

The tips were all purpose knife.

The work collars and also the English are made with rye straw, and that is cut off with the chopping blades if you SEW these collars up.

To the sewing together of the thick collars filled with straw to use that collar-awls.

There a few different versions, here.

Oh, and then there is a knife handle with a razor blade is

I use that to cut lambskins.

You want to cut the leather, but not hair that it also cut.

It is believed the longhair lambskins horses sleigh to equip.

One draws the benches thus makes also cover it transforms freezes.

Greeting

Walter

post-43725-0-43373100-1379003180_thumb.j

post-43725-0-26412000-1379003202_thumb.j

post-43725-0-53380100-1379003215_thumb.j

post-43725-0-90195000-1379003243_thumb.j

post-43725-0-68206800-1379003268_thumb.j

post-43725-0-55200200-1379003288_thumb.j

post-43725-0-47124200-1379003316_thumb.j

post-43725-0-68943600-1379003334_thumb.j

Hello Friends,

If anybody deserves to win (buy) that Machine à parer Mayer Flamery (splitter) it is you Macca. "What goes around comes around" they say, and thats true too. Very nice job there my friend.

Simon,

Thats a very nice Plough you found there, straight and very good visible markings on the ruler. Use Dremel 538 nylon compound brush on it, its magical. Brush in one direction on the brass (same as the markings), it will look good brushed (some like them polished too, but then they it have to be spotless or else it wont look good). The 538 works especially good on surface rust, I use it before polishing the steel. German tool makers used the best metal available, but often only painted the wooden shafts. I do not understand that decision. You may know that ROK`s (from Denmark) alcohol leather stain work very well on wood too, all our knife makers use it. When you have removed the surface rust on this tool it will look like new, its a very good tool pattern too. I like to have the knife bevel on the left side (then it compress the leather against the straight edge) and flat on the left side. Others like the knife to have double edges.

I do not understand why you are embarrassed to show of this nice tool, remember Walter has been in business more than 30 years, and inherited his Father and grandfathers tool too. It will be hard for anyone to match his collection, he has one of the worlds greatest/finest collections of user leather tools. Only one that sell tools like Bruce will be in his class. And we have still not seen the end of it.

If that tells me anything; its alright to keep on buying. Thank you Walter, Your tools and knowledge are amazing.

Keep on posting.

Thanks

Tor