Undeadzombiehunter

Max Usable Thread Size On Seiko Stw-8B

G'day,

I have an option on a used but serviced and new power plant seiko stw-8B which I understand is the same as a Consew 226R.

While The consew manual refers to max thread size of 5, with the various thread systems I am sure it does not mean a metric 5.

Based on experience can I use this machine to sew 207? If so is that the limit? I only want to sew max of 3x2mm veg tan leather and mostly only 2 x 2mm.

Regards, Tony

It will sew 207 with some difficulty although on occasion 207 on top with 138 in the bobbin will work.

The 138 both top and bottom makes the best "heavy" stitch for these machines.

ferg

I thought I would provide and update. I ended up buying a singer 45k25, which is a wonderful old machine and can sew anything that you can fit under the foot. But sometimes ones eyes are bigger than the belly.

It is way too much gun, and while it is great for heavy stuff, in reality most of my work is not. Those few heavy stitching jobs need to be done by hand generally. So for lighter stuff I bought a tailors light weight unused juki DDL-555 for $100, and has genuinely never been used. I found that when making a handbag for my wife that at time required 4x2mm leather the juki handled it, when run gently.

As i am not a Holster maker and my few sheaths i am happy to hand stitch, i have now bought a reconditioned and warranted seiko STW-8B with new table and new servo motor for a very good price. I suspect that the seiko will do 90% of what I want to do and will even deal with light weight fabrics.

The shame is that my now not quite, but basically new. Juki might be surplus.

The lesson here is one that Wiz described once. One is rarely satisfied with their first machine, and there is usually a learning journey we all have to take and hopefully not drop too much cash along the way. Those with very clear needs might get lucky and buy there one and only machine first go, i suspect they are either cashed up enough to buy a new cobra or such like, or have experience.

For the rest of us hobbyist, who have to hunt down elusive bargains, that might not be the case. We find what we can when we can and by machine number three we might have hit the mark.

So my journey to date is: buy singer 45k for $900, buy juki for $100, sell 45k for $1100, buy Seiko for 900. End state investment $800 and might yet sell the juki.

I did not mean for this be an essay, but wanted to share my specific journey of trial and error and compromise.

Tony

Edited by Undeadzombiehunter