Sign in to follow this  

What's the difference between these two dyes? Is one more stable, less likely to crock, more fade-resistant?

What's the difference between these two dyes? Is one more stable, less likely to crock, more fade-resistant?

Hello. USMC black is what is termed a 'blue-black' color. It has a slight blue sheen which is

prevalent on police and military gear. It reflects more light as a result of the blue component.

IMHO, this is why many people complain that their projects aren't black enough because it

is this version of black they are using.

The box labeled as simply black is a 'brown-black' color and has a darker hue of black than

the USMC. hope this helps.

Hello. USMC black is what is termed a 'blue-black' color. It has a slight blue sheen which is

prevalent on police and military gear. It reflects more light as a result of the blue component.

IMHO, this is why many people complain that their projects aren't black enough because it

is this version of black they are using.

The box labeled as simply black is a 'brown-black' color and has a darker hue of black than

the USMC. hope this helps.

It does, thank you!

About a year ago, I dyed a holster blue then black and it is definitely blacker than black dye alone.

About a year ago, I dyed a holster blue then black and it is definitely blacker than black dye alone.

That's what Froghunter told me. Might go that route -- I'll have to do a test piece.

hehe, I've had some fiebings purple turn out blacker than any other black on the market, more than once too!!

I always dye blue first then black over it, works well for me.

I always dye blue first then black over it, works well for me.

That's what I did. I need to remember to let it oxidize and not to panic if it looks purple under the fluorescents -- it'll darken even more as it dries, and fluorescent light LIES -- it looks a lot better in natural light than it does fluorescent.