deloid

Landis 30 Help

I have a Landis 30 and I thought I brought it back to life by following the instruction PDF available on the Internet. It cuts well but I need a certain thickness that is actually between the plunger index settings. Is there a way to temporarily change the blade height independently of the index by a bit ( 1.5mm)? Thanks

I have not tried this on my splitter, but run into the same issue on my wool plainer. Try splitting a scrap, then raise the blade and send both the split piece and the to be split piece through sandwiched together.

I have noticed the same thing with my American. -- Tex

As you've noticed, the Landis 30 thickness adjustment has incremental stops. I've never understood why they didn't design it with more "resolution" - i.e., smaller increments between stops, because the range of adjustment to go between the thickest leather and the thinnest is a a very small portion of the range of adjustment the machine can do. (I shoulda become an engineer - ha!) However, the roller height is infinitely adjustable, by adjusting the 2 screws above the roller. So that is one possible way to get the exact thickness you want, then the thickness adjustment will move in incremental stops relative to where you adjusted the roller height.

These can can be adjusted a few ways, Like Kate said the top screws will raise and lower top roller and working one side or the other will level the roller and blade edge relationship. You can adjust the bottom roller buy working the nuts and machine screws below. These were designed for sole material period. If you are running thinner leather through consistently then you need to raise the bottom roller some to get adequate pressure between rollers to grip and push. If you are splitting really thin splits off heavy leather consistently then lower the top roller for less clearance and the lower bottom roller to allow the split to go through the gap between it and the blade without really compressing those springs and straining the frame. These can be tuned for about whatever thickness a guy starts with and expects to end up with. Set them up like you use the most and most of the time the tolerances will let you do outside those ranges easy enough.

Thanks for that info, Bruce! I never discovered the lower roller was adjustable, too. I think I played with it on one occasion, and just didn't see much happening, so I decided to leave it alone.

BTW, have you ever found a good source for replacement parts for these machines? Or would that be you? :-)

Kate, As far as replacement parts, Pilgrim Shoe has the most in the US I'd guess. A few others like Bogle-Greenwell might, but otherwise you have to either have them made or scab them off a parts machine. Problem is that the stuff that commonly breaks or wears is probably what made a "user" into a parts machine.