nancyrip

Beveling Kangaroo Lace

A few months ago I started braiding some simple 4 strand kangaroo dog leashes.I found that i really like braiding and am wanting to increase my skill and improve my finished project. With my first projects I did not bevel the lace. I just bought a beveler from y knotlace. I have figured out how to run the lace through but am unsure whether i place the rough side down in the beveler and whether i bevel both sides. any help you can provide to this very novice braider is greatly appreciated.

It's a personal preference on what method to use. I take a tiny bit off the top side on my strings, even the smallest ones, 3/32 wide. With drumstuffed you can't hardly see it but with other types it does show a definite color change on each edge. That's just my opinion and you can try several ways to see what works for you. Brad

Which ever side you place down will receive the cleanest cut. As the blade begins to dull(which can be quite quick) the leather will try to ride up a little leaving your line a little jagged. The softer or thinner the leather the more pronounced the jagged line is and the more often you need to change blades. If you pre stretch and precondition the leather first you can get much straighter lines and longer blade life. Dont forget to roll the braid after you are done. It really improves the look and feel of a finished braid.

Tradition says bevel leather on flesh side, rawhide on grain side. That said grain side must be more carefully done as even the smallest cut will show.

You want to bevel the flash side. The reason for this is that all of the strength of leather is on the hair side. If you cut into that it will weaken your stand, but beveling the flesh side will make a nice even braid when finished. It is harder to cut though so you will need your knife extremely sharp. The y knotlace is a great tool and you should have no problems after a little practice