Jasonlboyd

Best Bargin Awl?

I know everyone has their own opinions, but I need a recommendation on the best bargin for an awl. I am still brand new and I got the basic sewing kit from Tandy. I got holes punched in almsot 3 out of 4 sides of a checkbook cover before the awl came out of the handle. I know this awl isn't the best, but with plenty of wax and stroping, it was getting the job done. I would love to have a top of the line awl, but not ready to invest a whole lot of money yet.

Suggestions anyone?

I have used the CS Osbourne Awls no 43 I think and I've been very happy with it.

It needed sharpening and polishing, but it was a good shape to start anyway.

The secret to the push in awls is to clamp the awl blade between two copper coins. 2 pence pieces over here and tap the haft on with a hammer.

It pushes the blade in quite deep and won't come out.

Nige

I use the Osborne awl as well. It's around $15.

http://zelikovitz.com/courses.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=2684&category_id=136&keyword=awl

I had one before our house fire, and I replaced it with the goodsjapan one in the smallest size, but I still found the blade to be too thick and wide. So, I bought the same Osbourne awl that I had before, and I love it.

I don't realize I could order an Osborne for less an $20. I think I'll be getting one in the next couple of weeks.

Beans, thanks for the tip on driving it deeper in the handle.