leatherturtle

Re-Dying Leather Briefcase

It's faded in spots, especially around the edges. I ordered some leather dye, sealer, and dye prep. Do I have this right?

1. Clean it

2. Rub with rubbing alcohol

3. Apply dye prep

4. Apply dye

5. Buff

6. Apply sealer

7. Buff

Repeat 6. &7.

When I first read your post yesterday I thought you were going to have a mess.

You got good products and if you get away on anything with re-dying, black is it.

If course, shoe polish would likely work too.

Thanks for the help.

After ordering the stuff (of course), I read that dye prep is for undyed leather, whereas deglazer is for re-dying leather. Is this just a marketing gimmick, or should I order the deglazer?

Also, what can I do about the frayed edges? It seems like the tragacanth and wood slicking stick would work on the strap, but I don't think it would work on the joints. Would my best option be Tandy Edge Kote? http://www.amazon.co...1/dp/B004303LMC

If so, then should I apply the Edge Kote after I dye, but before I apply the gloss? Do I need to get an edge slicker for this, or can I get away with using something else?

Edited by leatherturtle

Either product will likely be OK, they are both cleaners. The biggest issues you will have is with oils and dirt that have accumulate on it.

Gum trag will likely work to hold the fuzzies down. Glycerin soap will too (I have not used gum trag since I was first sold some years ago by Tandy, then I learned that glycerin soap was better and cheaper). You can slick it down with a piece of denim or canvas.

I don't ever use Edge Kote, so no help there.