bwillielv

Making A Purse / Bag

I have never made a bag and would like to make one as a christmas present for my mom. The problem is, the only things I have made are firefighter helmet shields, belts and other small things.

I don't have a sewing machine, would I be able to do this with a stitching awl? What oz leather is usually used for a bag? Where should I look for patterns? I doubt I would be able to do this without a pattern as I have no clue about bags / purses.

Thanks

Brian

since this is your first one, you might consider purchasing a kit from springfield leather, or tandy. might make thing a bit easier for you to start, and you can trace the leather in the kit and get a pattern out of it for future use

The 1st bag I made I laced up instead of stitched.

i have made quite a few bags now, all totally handstitched. I use a cheapo pricking iron to mark the holes & a diamond awl to make the holes.

The one i am going to be making for my mum is approx 2mm chrome tanned cowside (which is very soft to the touch, but really tough) and a lovely deep purple colour!

The plans I always make myself. Just look around the internet for inspiration, then make up full sized cardboard mock-ups. I use staples where the stitches would be, and once happy, unpick the staples and the card then becomes the cutting templates .

Thank you all for the answers