Sign in to follow this  
stanly

Ques About Seam Overlaps-

Ques about seam overlaps-

I'm making a custom cap with earflaps for someone and I had to use standin for the guy's head so I'm giving a double seam allowance (1"), that I'm planning to fold back on itself. This is to me some extra to work with in case an adjustment is needed.

To make it more interesting this will be outside seamed and I'm planning to machine sew a line about 1/8" above the finishing line of whipstitch.

My question is since the cap is made of four pieces that join together at the top is there a way of doing this that doesn't give me a really thick bunch of leather in center?

Of course I'd like to do this with continuous lines of L to Rt and Front to Back stitching if possible.

A sort of French Seam may give you the best looking results, but it'll take a bit of planning. I think that some of the overlapping material in the junction of the two seams will need to be trimmed out in order to keep there from being too much in the way. If it were me, Id be working with some scraps just to make sure I'd gotten the technique down and it looked the way I wanted it to before going ahead with the real thing, though.

Edited by shtoink

A sort of French Seam may give you the best looking results, but it'll take a bit of planning. I think that some of the overlapping material in the junction of the two seams will need to be trimmed out in order to keep there from being too much in the way. If it were me, Id be working with some scraps just to make sure I'd gotten the technique down and it looked the way I wanted it to before going ahead with the real thing, though.

guess it does kind of seem like a French Seam, w/ a crease in place of the first sew line. (had to look up French Seamhere) http://koumori-no-hi...orial-326817095 Planned on doing trial run w/ squares of cloth even though not quite same as odd angles on cap.