Ok, so here are a couple of bracelets that I've just finished. I made one for my daughter and now all of her friends want one (plus a few of my friends from Facebook). These are great little projects for learning! I get a little bit better with each one that I make. They are faaaaaaar from perfect (I have been calling them "drunkenbracelets" because they look like someone that knows how to do them got drunk before making them :rofl: ). Even with all of the mistakes they are still something that I wouldn't mind wearing in public (I'm just not much into wearing stuff... not even a watch).

Lots of fun, very relaxing, very rewarding, and everybody seems to like them. I already have orders for a couple of belts but I've got a ways to go before I will be ready to do that. High up on my wish list would be a stamping/tooling class. I'm pretty clueless and know that a class would help a lot. I haven't looked a lot but it doesn't seem like there is much available in my area (central FL). Maybe some day...

Dave

post-40757-0-01670900-1381227054_thumb.j

Looks like you are off to a great start! Since there is not a class near you, you may want to check out the leathercraft library vidoes and get some good tips.

Edited by Wishful

Bracelets look great. Very nice burnished edges and those who wear them should be proud.

God Bless.

Ray

You are well on your way to a satisfying hobby.

Belts, tooled coasters, then get Al Stohlman's hand stitching book and you can make almost anything you could want

Thanks for the kind words! I'm having a lot of fun. :)

I did a couple more last night and I'm getting happier and happier with them. There are less things that I notice are wrong with them. :) My snaps are too big so I'll be waiting for an order of some smaller sized snaps from Springfield.

Dave

post-40757-0-47792900-1381321372_thumb.j

Hey, good for you to practice until perfect. I get bored and move on to other things before I perfect one project.

Maybe try lining a band with a contrasting color suede cemented to the back.

Then line one and try stitching up and down the length. That would be working towards a lined, stitched belt while finding a cement you like to work with and can control and getting hand stitching confidence.

Just some ideas. Keep posting your stuff and ask lots of questions

Good idea... bracelet, dog collar, belt for graduation to the bigs :)

I do have a few questions:

• When you do a lining like you are suggesting, or even double up some thick leather for a big dog's collar, do you glue and sew it flat? It would seem like it would have a bit of a problem curving around a wrist or neck if there were two pieces glued and sewn flat.
  • The first one that I made I put dye on both sides then when my daughter wore it out in the FL heat and got sweaty some of the dye came off on her wrist. As you can see from the photos I punted and just didn't put any dye on the back but I like the look much better for it to have at least some dye. Is there a way to do that without getting dye on the wrist?
  • Water protection... what are the options and how effective will they be? I'm guessing that you won't be able to waterproof it (especially not something that gets bent a lot like a bracelet) so it will need to be accompanied with instructions to not let it get wet, correct?
  • Do I need to do some sort of a lacquer finish? So far all I've done is Neetsfoot oil and Carnauba Cream. I would like to eventually sell these so I would like to make them as durable as possible. What works best?

Thanks,

Dave

Ok I will try. Lots of ways to skin a cat, these are just my opinions and experiences.

*Yes you can glue flat and sew flat, I have not had a problem with that . Done this with wrist bands, belts, dog collars, coffee grips..

There is enough flex in leather to accommodate the curves. If you have to form a project you get your leather wet, form the leather around and then line, glue and sew it.

*Water based dies are terrible for running, bleeding and transferring to clothes. You can try to seal them up with acrylic like Supersheen or Resolene stuff like that. I like oil based stains better. I saw the stain run on the back of the band and that is why I suggested trying a lining.

*There are lots of water resistant products. They need to be repeatedly applied though. For example with my dog's latigo leather collar, I take it off if she got wet, dry it off and apply something called snow shield. There are lots of oils, creams, sprays etc and they all work ok. I suggest trying stuff you can get easily, locally and cheaply carnuba wax is good stuff.

* Those are both good products. The neatsfoot oil is really best for softening leather, re-conditioning and re-oiling, when it has dried out and become stiff after casing and tooling it. I have not used carnuba wax or atom wax etc but have heard good things. I like acrylic spray to seal.

I made some acrylic painted leather coasters. I sealed them with a clear spray acrylic called Super Sheen. I use one coaster daily at my work desk for my water cup and have not had to touch it in a couple years. No paint runs or fades.

Resolene is a real solid, durable coating but it does add a yellow tinge that is not my favorite over painted items. You might want to try it out

Really try to experiment with what you have, test it out on leather you are using and see what it does. There are so many different products, methods and religious beliefs on how to do things and products. I hope some of this helps.

Thanks! This helps quite a bit. I'm still a bit in the overwhelmed phase but find that the more that I do, as long as I'm willing to learn from my many mistakes, it seems that I improve quickly and start figuring things out.

I've only used the Fiebing's Professional Oil Dye and that is what stained my daughter's wrist. Maybe I just put too much on the back and didn't buff long enough (it's possible that I didn't buff it much at all but I can't remember now). I think I will try a light coating on the back (I still like the backing idea for some of them) plus Resolene (I have a small bottle) and wear it myself out in the woods and see how it goes.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Dave

Ya buff the snot out of it

I did a nice red band for my nephew who was leaving for Australia for school the next day. Used Tandy's water based...When I tested the rest of the stained leather it ran like a bugger. I am sure he had a red wrist for a month.

Do a search on here for using resolene, there was a thread about it last month or so

I will try to find it after I finish, ahem,working