littlewind

Singer 45Ksv2?

Hi all!

I've been reading this forum for quite some time, and am looking for sewing machine for leather work.

I have started to do dog collars from tooling leather with possibly a soft padding; and some light weight (1.2-1.5mm) leather-covered straps for show collars & leashes etc.

I have found a Singer 45ksv2 model, with roller foot, that I could purchase (picture attached).

It has broken bobbin winder (the bobbin holder has broken, otherwise the rest of the part is intact) and is missing the fabric guide from the cylinder arm, and the oil pot(?). The machine seems to sew well and has the original stand with treadle. The machine dates 1920 according to the number.

It has been used with string sizes "0", "10" (European numbering), and very heavy needles.

I did notice that the roller foot and feed dog does mark the leather, and got it little better by adjusting the presser lighter. However I've read that it can be lessened with modification/smoothing the system?

Is there spare parts available anymore for this machine? Is it possible to change the roller feet to presser feet for some projects?

I was wondering if it is possible to use this machine for softer/thinner leather with smaller needle & thread? Or is it suitable for heavy material only?

I have used "30" and "40" size string for my work.

I am a beginner so I'm not sure which size of needle I should use with the thinner cord.

Where I live there is very few industrial machines available for this type of work. The few triple-feed machines available cost from $1500 upwards used or new if they have servo-motor, usually they do not have a servo. There is almost nothing available used, or it costs the same as from dealer. The new ones available are Typical brand Chinese machines with flat bed GC6-7, or cylinder arm GC2603 (I believe I'd need heavier machine).

Thanks for help!

post-30663-0-16203900-1382608507_thumb.j

HI, I dont recall seeing a KSV 2 before, I wonder what the difference it to the standard 45K5?? I wouldn't normally expect the roller foot to mark leather, you should be able to slip it up the shaft if you want to reduce the pressure even more. Yes parts are available, Singer made thousands of 45Ks, I have feet for them, but I'm sure someone in a closer country than Australia will also stock them. People always worry about parts, but really you have to drip this machine on a concrete floor to break it. The machine will run the usual range of needles, if it has something like a nail in now, then change it for something thinner and use light thread. Check the manual, it will tell you. If you don't have a manual then I've attached the general 45k one here.... The needles are 214.

45K operator manual.pdf

Hey Littlewind - where are you from?

I might be interested in your roller foot if you want to get rid of it. I also have one or two regular sewing foots for the 45K. Furthermore I have an Adler 4-2 flat bed sewing machine without motor and without table. Just for the case you would be interested and if you live in Europe shipping wont be a problem.

Needle size could also be 328 or DD-1 which are actually the same but with a different nomenclature.

Edited by Constabulary

These are wonderful heavy duty machines with little wear out on them. One limit is with very light weight sewing and thread. Thread below #96, M40 or so struggled. The trouble was usually getting enough bobbin tension on the light weigh thread.

These built like tanks, heavy, bullet proof and a pleasure to use and to just have in the shop. And they hold their value.

I would keep the roller foot, they are hard and expensive to find. As this is designed for saddle harness work, i did find the feed dog dig mark the underside. One trick is the paint the dog with liquid latex, which fills in the grooves a bit and softens the marks.

Tony

I'm sure the KSVs were corner stitchers so this has been converted, which is a pitty because it was worth much more as a corner stitcher, the 45k's a saddlers machine no good for harness, it will sew dog collars the feed dog marks can be rubbed out a little after sewing, and you can get a cheap bench mounted bobin winder on eBay.

Thank you for the replies!

I haven't bought this machine yet, I went to look at it first.

I think it could be tricky to get the machine adjusted, so that it won't mark the leather. Also the roller is so big, that I will most likely have trouble to get it sew along the edge of my 1cm wide straps...? As the wheel is so wide, it easily drops off the thinner material's edge.

But it is a really nice machine, I'd love to get it anyway, just don't have room for two machines *G*.

It doesn't appear to be a corner stitcher, it looks just as the other 45Ks I've seen in pics, the corner stitcher looks very different.

I am leaning towards a proper triple feed machine, maybe Typical GCS6-7 if it works well, I will try that tomorrow, hopefully. Now I've tested a year-old Sewmac triple feed and it works really nice, it's just out of my budget.