I wet my leather for burnishing the edges, and now I want to dye it, and I don't know how long I should wait for it to dry before proceeding. I'm going to use black Fiebing's Oil dye. (This is my first project -- a dog collar.)

thanks

Hello KLS,

I believe the norm is to allow your items to be dry when preparing for dye application.

I do both wet and dry and have had good results with both methods. I suppose it depends a lot on the dye you are going to use and what the specific application is.

Perhaps one of the experts on the site can fill you in with more information.

Noticed you are from Alabama. Where? I am in Opelika.

God Bless.

Ray

If you dampen the whole item LIGHTLY before dying then you will most often get a nice even dye job - the moisture helps open the pores allowing for better penetration (edges will at times be darker no matter what due to the porosity)

I prefer my leather to be moisturized with oil when I dye. Let the water dry out of it and then apply a LIGHT coat of neatsfoot oil. Let sit for about 5 minutes and then dye, then let sit for an hour or so. If it looks like there are some seriously light spots, rub another light coat of oil over it to help even things out. Then let it sit overnight. Black can be a pain, so just stick with it if it's not evening up for you.

Thank you all for the input! I was impatient to dye, and didn't have any neatsfoot oil, so I went ahead and applied the dye while still damp from the water. It looks good so far! Very black and even! (It helps to read the label, too. It actually says apply while damp... I didn't notice that at first.) It is interesting how there are different methods that all seem to work with different people. I like having different options.

Now for the Resolene --- The bottle says apply after dye has dried completely, and to dampen slightly with water before wiping on the Resolene. Patience is not my strong suit, so it is going to be hard waiting. I guess I'll do the Resolene tomorrow.

Thanks!

(Hi Ray, I'm way up north near Huntsville. Nice to see another Alabamian here!)

Now for the Resolene --- The bottle says apply after dye has dried completely, and to dampen slightly with water before wiping on the Resolene. Patience is not my strong suit, so it is going to be hard waiting. I guess I'll do the Resolene tomorrow.

Slow down on the Resolene.

Don't trust the bottle

you MUST apply it in a 50/50 mix with water, otherwise you will hate it and probably throw your work out.

use multiple LIGHT coats of the 50/50, applied with a slightly moist (not dripping) sponge. Once you put on a coat, leave it for at LEAST 2 hours, if not 3 to 4.

Thanks-- It is so great to have your advice!

So by multiple light coats, do you mean 3 to 4, or more than that?

What kind of use will it see?

Depending on how "light", I'll usually use 3 - 4 for indoor items. If it's going to be outside and used heavily, I might go up to 6 or 7 if it's a heavily used item. BUT, this is with really light coats. You really have to play it by eye. If it's starting to look like you have a clear coat on it (really shiny and plasticy), then it's too much. For your use, I'd start with 4-5 light coats. I'm stating 4-5 because it's your first time using it and there's a good chance that your version of light won't be the same as mine. Also, if the dog scratches a lot, it WILL go through the finish - no way around that. The better the coating, the longer it will last before that happens. Also, practice using the resolene a few times before taking it to your finished project. It can be tricky to get the hang of.

Here's my opinion -- it dont matter. With solid black, or brown, or whatever, REALLY dont matter. BUT, with shades and tones and hints and hi-lites, I dye it with the leather dry. Dont matter for penetration, but if the leather is wet you may get a different shade than you thought when it dries. Some from the leather itself lightening up, and some from the sheen of the moisture in the hide.

Thanks, everyone! I've put several light coats on today and I LOVE it!

I think I've been bit by the bug.

:-)