Hi guys I have dome some leather work in the distant past (as in a "crafting class)". I am now trying to get serious with belts and I have what I am sure is a really basic question. I found a technique in another post that I would like to use http://www.johan-pot...r.com/ll/?cat=7 and I'd like some feedback before I continue. First I got a few of the pre-embossed belts and I am trying a gray/black finish first on a piece of the end. I didn't really get anything other than a murky stain with the Fiebling's gray color, without the Fieblings pre-dye treatment. I did notice that the treatment took off something that looks like a brown dye, but that might just be some of the natural color of the leather being dissolved? Is the pre-dyeing a good thing to do in general?

Then I brushed on the gray on both treated and untreated segments and got the murky hazy stain, so I kept letting it more or less dry and doing ti again until I got the solid gray color I was after. Is this a stupid thing to do? After I get a solid color (assuming it can be done without ruining the belt), I would like to coat just the very top of the raised parts of the leather with a opaque black like in the blog I found above. I had bought the Fiebling's acrylic assortment but that doesn't look like I can get the effect I am after without painting it all on by hand. I would like to use the technique of brushing over the a wood block and cloth and get really the exact look in the first example on the blog. If that can't be done, I would want a very dark opaque black in the recessed parts, I looked around here and I guess that would be done with an antiqueing stain? I might want to do both the highlighting and the antiqueing if i get ambitious.

Finally I would want to paint in just a few isolated raised areas. Then I want to repeat the process on other belts with different dye and highlighting and/or antiquing. Also, is there a finish that is best for opaque dyes where the leather isn't visible anymore, or do I even need one? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Edited by Orerockon

Whoops one more question, if you are antiquing and painting acrylic over the dye, do you ant to paint the acrylic first or after the antique stain? I plan on resisting the base dye as in the page above.