Sign in to follow this  
bydeniss

Juki Dnu 241H

I am thinking of purchasing this machine (second hand, obviously...). I would like to know what is the maximum thickness for thread this machine can sew with? Can it sew with z277?

Thank you.

No,the max thread size for the 241 is #207

No,the max thread size for the 241 is #207

Will this machine sew 2 layers (and maximum would be 3 layers) of 5 oz leather?

Thank you.

Edited by bydeniss

Yes,it should handle that.

I purchased a used 241 clone (Nakajima 280L) about 3 years ago and have not regretted it. It easily punches through 20+ ozs of Vegtan leather the same as the day I bought it. If I can fit it under the 3/8" inch presser foot it stitches. I bought it used and used WizCrafts check list for examining it. (Thanks again Wiz)

http://leatherworker...=1

I found some online manuals that apply to the Juki 241 as well as mine at the following links...

http://www.raichert....obe/dnubook.pdf

or

http://www.raichert....on%20Manual.pdf

and used them to find all the oil points and to learn the basics.

I did reduce the speed by replacing the small pulley with a smaller one and a new belt from Ace Hardware. Total cost about $10 and an easy DiY job. I also found that adding a wooden block under the back of the foot pedal so that you don't push the pedal all the way down, but only far enough to solidly start it stitching allowed me to control the speed MUCH easier. However a servo motor might suit your needs even better. At the time patience (1 hour for DiY vs 1 week to order and ship the Servo) and money ($10 vs $200) were both in short supply :)

Best of luck.

Random

Thank you CowboyBob and Random. The guy who is selling it (new and used sewing machine dealer) doesn't recommend changing the motor. He says the motor is an old Italian brand and even it is an old one, it is better than new motors and he can make some changes to it (I am not technical at all...my appologize) to reduce the speed. I want to use the machine to sew wallets (goat skin), and bags. For bags I use vegetable tanned leather.