Lady Eagle

Newly Addicted In Alberta

Hello! I fell into leatherworking a couple of months ago, and haven't looked back. Wanting both a new pair of moccasins and a new hobby, I was thrilled to be able to combine those two desires with a kit from Michael's to make my own slippers. After testing the waters with that little project, I dove in by ordering a large kit from Tandy containing everything I needed to get started.

So far I've made:

- 2 coasters (which turned out very stiff because I didn't know about oiling after tooling. I've managed to condition them so they won't keep cracking)

- 4 key fobs (the first 2 turned out so badly because of poorly applied stains and finishes that I was too ashamed to keep them, the next 2 were worthy of keeping)

- 1 bi-fold wallet with a western flower tooled design (despite my critical eye seeing every flaw, I'm quite pleased with this, my first effort)

Yesterday I finished tooling a chequebook cover and today I oiled it. Yikes! Looks like I over-oiled it. I oiled the back side because I wanted to leave the front mostly natural with just some background dyeing. But large splotches of oil seeped through to the front! I hope that disappears come tomorrow. If not, looks like I won't be leaving it natural after all, but instead will highlight stain or antique it to hide the dark spots.

There is so much I have yet to learn! But, in spite of the mistakes and problems I keep encountering, I am thoroughly addicted to my new hobby! And there's nothing quite like hammering designs into leather to ease the stress of an over-full work/university/life schedule.

Now I'm off to the forums to seek some answers. I look forward to meeting all of you!

Welcome to your new addiction.

Let the cb sit for a couple days for the oil to be evenly absorbed. Always go light on the oil as too much makes it soggy!

What town are you in?

Tom

Ah, a couple more Canadians! Hello, and thanks for the welcome!

Tom, I'm from Redcliff. And thanks for the advice! I haven't had time to work on the chequebook, so hopefully by the time I do the excess oil has absorbed. I'm definitely having trouble controlling the application of the oil, I may try a paste on the back of my projects so I don't have little spills or over-apply in spots.