That is beautiful stuff there!

WOW JUST WOW, very impressive good sir. It looks to me like your stitch is so clean it looks like if it was machine sewn. But can you confirm this to us lol ! Great stuff. :gathering:

Nice finish on the briefcase, I really like the 'feet' idea on the bottom - pretty smart :)

Thanks coho. The customer, who travels for business, said he had to be confident that the leather wouldn't touch the floor in the airport restrooms. He makes a good point, I think!

That is beautiful stuff there!

Thanks much.

WOW JUST WOW, very impressive good sir. It looks to me like your stitch is so clean it looks like if it was machine sewn. But can you confirm this to us lol ! Great stuff. :gathering:

Thank you - yes, all hand stitched. I've found that laying in a good deep stitching channel helps make the difference. Here's a close up of what I did.

post-35245-0-52671300-1386352890_thumb.j

Edited by Paulsleather

Awesome work! Love the fit and finish. I'm just finishing up the components of my first messenger bag. Trying to work out the detail on the handle anchors. I'd like to borrow the detail you just posted showing the attachment for the handle. It's one of last couple of details that have been holding me up from getting to the assembly phase of the project. Also, what are you using for the edges before burninging? Dye? Edge dressing?

Best,

Mark

Thanks, Mark - I dyed the edges then sealed with Resolene and then rubbed on a little paraffin wax. Good luck with the satchel. Would enjoy seeing pics when your done.

Paul,

Thanks for the note. We'll see how it turns out first then maybe post some pictures.

Mark

Edited by commermd

gulp! WOW…very impressive!

Thanks, Adam. BTW - I had to laugh at your exchange with Dwight re. "unpicking". I generally unpick once or twice when I'm doing handles on the briefcases. And so it goes...

Cheers -

Paul

I have a question about how you did the flap on the bag. I made a messenger bag (attached picture), in which I folded over the exterior leather on top of the liner, but it created the wrinkling you see in the attached picture. I'm curious how you avoided this.

From the previous comments, it seems that rather than folding over the exterior, you cut the exterior leather to the edge, and then attached a second strip along the edge on the interior to cover the edge of the liner. Is that correct? If so, did you avoid the wrinkling around the corners by cutting the strip to match the shape of the flap (cutting out a U-shaped strip), or did you cut a straight strip, and then somehow bend it around the corners avoiding the wrinkling?

post-43024-0-94851100-1402488243_thumb.j

from what i can see jfirth, he has corners that are a lot less than 90 degree. his are more relieved than yours....but, yes, he cut a separate strip for the edge.

BTW paul.....excellent job on this. dayum! this is a beautiful briefcase. i've been wanting to try one - but more of an attorney's bag instead. but, this is achievable - even for me.

very, very nice.

I have a question about how you did the flap on the bag. I made a messenger bag (attached picture), in which I folded over the exterior leather on top of the liner, but it created the wrinkling you see in the attached picture. I'm curious how you avoided this.

From the previous comments, it seems that rather than folding over the exterior, you cut the exterior leather to the edge, and then attached a second strip along the edge on the interior to cover the edge of the liner. Is that correct? If so, did you avoid the wrinkling around the corners by cutting the strip to match the shape of the flap (cutting out a U-shaped strip), or did you cut a straight strip, and then somehow bend it around the corners avoiding the wrinkling?

Hi jfirth, apologies for the delayed response (technology issues). Yes, it is a separate straight strip. The large size of the flap radius eliminates the wrinkling issue when bending to fit the curve. With a tight radius as on your satchel, then cutting the strip to match the shape would appear to be the only way to avoid the wrinkling.

Thanks ramrod. Good luck on your lawyers briefcase!

Thanks KN!

Thanks, the edges took time. First I cut 3/8" strips from the same leather. Next, I beveled, dyed and burnished the edges. Then, I clipped it in place with binder clips and marked and punched the holes. Attached it by glueing and stitching. Finished it with resolene and paraffin wax. Then I collapsed!

Here's a little tighter shot of it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's genius. I was trying to figure out how you turned that edge over so cleanly. Now I realize its not turned. But man it looks great.