pitchdev

Picked Up The Consew 118

Well, I went ahead and picked up a Consew 118 -- it is a little smaller//lighter than my ideal, but to save 1000 dollars for a new business is pretty key.

I think it will fit my needs while I learn to sew and make prototypes.

It came with a box of thread and bobbins....was previously used for vinyl upholstery.

It came with a bunch of needles also:

140/22

Pfaff 160 with a diamond shaped point

Singer 22

160/23

Schmetz 140

...all randomly in a little box.

Judging by these needle sizes, they were using some thread at least size 138.

All the pre wound bobbins are D-92

One of the spools of thread still has a label and attached is a picture of this.

Could someone advise what size thread this works out to in numbers I can understand?

From what I can tell I think it's between 138 and 207 somewhere.

post-46953-0-69841900-1386873015_thumb.j

I am now looking to get a nice slow servo motor, a knee lifter, and a few needles//threads for it.

Interestingly, it is a Consew machine, with a Singer table, and a Pfaff spool holder.

post-46953-0-81596400-1386873260_thumb.j

The thread is glazed linen, left twist, 4 cord, which is about the same thickness as #138 or #207, but nowhere near the strength of bonded nylon thread. This thread is used for strongly visible top stitching on couches and chairs, where the thread's visibility is part of the overall design. Despite its diameter, it is softer than bonded nylon and easier to get a proper tension than say #207 bonded. The knots will be tighter and will hide inside thinner material than its bonded cousins.

Thanks Wiz.

I found another spool with a label DB92 Tex90 - Bonded Poly.

That should be pretty good for my uses, but now I have to question my bobbin thread.

I have a bunch of pre wound bobbins that say D92, but don't call out the thread type -- Is there a way to tell if it's linen or poly?

Looks to me like it's likely linen.

Does someone sell pre wound bobbins of 138 bonded in size 15/A?

Another question -- does my needle thread need to be a size bigger than my bobbin thread for best results?

post-46953-0-34383500-1387077422_thumb.j